• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed ASAP please!! *back to vets, help appreciated!*

sierra*323

Mama Doe
My Mum's rabbit needs help. She went to the emergency vet yesterday but they didn't seem to know what the problem was. The vet said she didn't look in pain, she couldn't feel any blockage or swelling/full bladder. She gave her an antibiotic injection (not sure which one) and a gut stimulant and sent her home with recovery food and baytril.

Last night we thought she was looking up - she ate a big bunch of dandelions and produced maybe 30 poos. She is drinking too. Today she has stopped eating and pooing again. She wasn't given any painkillers and is now grinding her teeth a little so I have some metacam to give to Mum for her.

What seems odd is she is physically trying to urinate/poo - you can see her stomach tensing as she tries. She does pee little and often, just no poos - a water infection was thrown in as a possiblity. We can take her back to the emergency vet but unless the one who I see (who is rabbit savvy) happens to be on call tonight then I'm not sure they will know any better than yesterday.

We don't know what to do! Any advice greatly appreciated. :(

Last edited:
I'm afraid I don't have any experience with this kind of thing and hopefully someone will be along shortly who is mor knowledgeable. Teeth grinding is normally indicative of pain and buny in pain won't eat so it is important that the bunny is given painkiller. If there is straining, it could be a blockage or perhaps a urinary tract infection or possibly bladder stones (one of my guinea pigs had the latter).

Thank you, Alice has been admitted but did eat a few more dandelions. While we were there she passed some more urine and some mucas looking stuff! She is being given fluids, pain relief, gut stimulant and antibiotics, I think.

Jane, fom your experience, what is the normal treatment for cystisis?

Sending loads of vibes. Merlin had cysitis and he had abx and pain relief. It is incredibly painful for the bunny so they do stop eating.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with this kind of thing and hopefully someone will be along shortly who is mor knowledgeable. Teeth grinding is normally indicative of pain and buny in pain won't eat so it is important that the bunny is given painkiller. If there is straining, it could be a blockage or perhaps a urinary tract infection or possibly bladder stones (one of my guinea pigs had the latter).

When I read my rabbit's notes, despite teeth grinding, when she was admitted there was no mention of pain relief:(
It sounds like they are trying with the OP's bun though and not being clueless.

When I read my rabbit's notes, despite teeth grinding, when she was admitted there was no mention of pain relief:(
It sounds like they are trying with the OP's bun though and not being clueless.

I pointed out the teeth grinding and asked for pain relief :thumb: A second vet popped in so he had a look at Alice too and agreed she should have some. I had some metacam in the cupboard from Tango so managed to save Mum a few pennies.

Thank you, Alice has been admitted but did eat a few more dandelions. While we were there she passed some more urine and some mucas looking stuff! She is being given fluids, pain relief, gut stimulant and antibiotics, I think.

Jane, fom your experience, what is the normal treatment for cystisis?

Baytril is generally a good antibiotic for cystitis

Metacam can be given but with caution if renal issues are suspected too.

My most recent case (Tess last week) also had sub/cut fluids for 24 hours to make her wee more dilute and not so painful to pass.

Baytril is generally a good antibiotic for cystitis

Metacam can be given but with caution if renal issues are suspected too.

My most recent case (Tess last week) also had sub/cut fluids for 24 hours to make her wee more dilute and not so painful to pass.

Thank you. Sorry if I'm being stupid but what are sub/cut fluids??

Back