• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cold rabbit!

cotton

Young Bun
Hi there, I got my 7 week old rabbit last evening, we put him in his (temporary!) cage last night in the stable (which is to be converted into a massive playground for him) with his cage looking like this;

C9031A56-D5F3-4F38-9DD3-E7F0D155FA77-1236-0000011CD0B31F1A_zps0682bfdf.jpg

(He had plenty more hay and some fresh fruit and veg and dodson and horrell rabbit royale)

We regularly checked him and he seemed perfectly happy and content and warm enough, however as night fell when we checked him he was huddled up in a corner with his hair up and we felt his ears and he was freezing! He refused to go in the house bit underneath (and he absolutely loves exploring everything) so we put the cuddly bed infront of that (we didn't take it out as he likes jumping up ontop of it) and then where the shavings and cuddly bed were we put the cardboard box he came in with a little opening and put loads of hay in that, we then covered the cage (all bar the front side so he could still see out) with a horse rug, and I think he was ok however today he is still cold :( not as cold, like he's still happily going about his day but his ears definitely were cold, I don't know how to warm him up?

I also introduced him to the guinea pig earlier and they sniffed each other for a bit and then completely ignored each other (bar rabbit jumping over the guinea pig, quite amusing!) so I think they would be ok together, so I may move him into the hutch with the guinea pig? (Plenty of space, two large hutches connected so they would be able to avoid each other easily if they wanted to) as I think it may be warmer in there as that hutch is in a shed and they would be able to huggle up together for warmth? Cotton (rabbit) is used to being with his brothers and sisters so probably is used to curling up with them :(

Any suggestions on how to keep him warm? I thought a hot water bottle under the cage...? Although most rabbits live out happily?
He's also the runt of the litter so smaller than most his age, he's a lion head cross with something

Thankyou very much for your help! x

Awww bless him. Depending on where he came from, is there any way you would be allowed to get one of his brothers or sisters too (they will both need neutering when old enough though to avoid fights and more litters so they can stay together all the time as pals) or another older bunny from a rescue to pair with him? Apart from the body heat which bunnies naturally share to keep warm, Rabbits are social creatures and its not generally kind to keep them on their own, especially if they are kept outside, as they just don't have the same opportunity for interaction as a house rabbit does. Even if you spend a couple of hours a day with him all year round, that is still in excess of 20 hours a day he will be alone, which I personally don't think is fair on a species which is social by nature.

You've mentioned the guinea pig but as you have already been advised in your other thread before you put them together, it is not advisable to keep them together. Not only are they completely different species with completely different needs and ways of communicating, there are huge risks to your guinea pig. Rabbits can naturally carry a bacteria which does not cause them illness but can kill guinea pigs, and as your bunny grows, he will have very strong back legs and could easily injure piggy. If he is already jumping over him now, what happens if he jumps over him and accidentally lands on piggy when he is bigger? Rescues will tell you how often they get rabbits and guinea pigs brought in together with the owners insisting that they are friends, only for them to discover how much happier the piggies are when they are separated from the rabbit. They will also tell you about injuries they have seen to guinea pigs where a rabbit has accidentally stamped on them when they are startled - rabbits respond to fear using those big back legs and it can result in serious injury ir even a broken piggy back. By putting the two species together you are putting your piggies life at risk!

Cold ears in one way is a good thing, as it means that your bunny's body systems are working properly, keeping blood away from the ears to keep the body warm. But I am concerned that he is only 7 weeks old and the runt of the litter, as this puts him at a much higher Risk, babies shouldnt be leaving their mum until at least 8 weeks old and preferably 10, so he is already at increased risk and especially if he is the runt he may not have the capacity to keep himself well warm if it does get colder.

Ideally I think a bunny of that age and health should probably be indoors especially if he is alone, but this means you would have to keep him indoors until the weather warms up again next year, as it would be too cold to put him outside in a month or two time. Apart from the advice you've already been offered in your other thread, I would just put loads of hay throughout his cage, it will make the whole base much warmer and it will trap air around him to keep him warm wherever he sits. I would also consider trying to make a shelter all round it to keep it a bit less draughty and would cover it over at night.

It's not really a suitable cage for what is essentially an outdoor environment, albeit a sheltered one away from rain etc though, as it has no protection from wind or any way of trapping heat inside the structure to keep it warm, so I would suggest seeing if you can get a decent hutch for him any case, you would still be able to use that as a cosy base for him when you have managed to convert the rest of the stable into his lovely playground :D given his age and runtyness personally I would consider this as a huge priority as he will be at risk in an indoor cage used outside.

Good luck with your lovely little chap x

Last edited:
The change in his surroundings may have given him a lower temperature but with lots of hay he should be ok. It's a scary thing for a young bun to leave Mum and siblings annd go out in the world and he is very young. Do you know if he was eating fruit and veg while at his last home, because if he weren't you must wait till he is about 12 weeks old and start slowly. I think I mentioned this in the other thread. Many baby bunnies die through people giving them veg or fruit at a young age, when they haven't had it previously. Was he eating Rabbit Royale before, if so that't good that you have kept him on that as you have to change their diet very gradually, and at his age it is not a good idea to do so. Rabbits love exploring and this can be daangerous if you aren't careful enough with regard to his environment. As I said in your other thread, we now know it isn't a great idea to put a guinea pig with a rabbit, but some still do. I explained the reasons in the other thread. Did you get Cotton from a breeder or a pet shop? Please let us know how little bun gets on.

Sonics ears are always cold in the winter, but the rest of him is like a real life hot water bottle!
I alwys find it difficult to remember that they SHOULD be in the wild, and even thought they may be domesticated, they will naturally know how to deal with the colder weather :)
Also, remember that he will snuggle in the hay if he needs to. In the winter, it can be snowing into the hutch and Sonic can be sat there for hours. He'll stand up and be half normal bun, half snow bun haha.
I wouldn't worry, just make sure he has plenty of hay :)

I wouldn't put him with the guinea though, they may ignore each other at first, but I know that my two would fight as soon as they were left alone!

Anyway, I'm sure he'll be fine and good luck with making him a giant playground :D

Thanks guys, the cage is in a stable so is sheltered from the elements at all angles and then he has a rug wrapped around it which will also help keep it insulated, I was only thinking of putting him with piggy as temporary for company, friends and family have done it before and not had a problem but I do see what you mean about the size difference being dangerous, but atm Chilli is bigger than Cotton haha! I did think about bringing him inside but it's not realistic and the size of the cage isn't acceptable so I want to get his stable finished ASAP so he can have loads of room to run around in and have lots of toys/tunnels etc. He's been on that same food, the same specific bag even! He came from a knowledgeable breeder and was slowly introduced to fresh food, so don't worry his tum will be used to it! He has plenty of hay and straw to bury himself into so I think he will be fine, I'm probably just being over protective! He is a very confident rabbit which will probs help him regarding being separated from his family but I still do very sorry for him, all of his brothers and sisters are sold, I'll have a think about perhaps getting a second bun once Cotton's fully grown from perhaps a rescue. Thanks :)

Thanks guys, the cage is in a stable so is sheltered from the elements at all angles and then he has a rug wrapped around it which will also help keep it insulated, I was only thinking of putting him with piggy as temporary for company, friends and family have done it before and not had a problem but I do see what you mean about the size difference being dangerous, but atm Chilli is bigger than Cotton haha! I did think about bringing him inside but it's not realistic and the size of the cage isn't acceptable so I want to get his stable finished ASAP so he can have loads of room to run around in and have lots of toys/tunnels etc. He's been on that same food, the same specific bag even! He came from a knowledgeable breeder and was slowly introduced to fresh food, so don't worry his tum will be used to it! He has plenty of hay and straw to bury himself into so I think he will be fine, I'm probably just being over protective! He is a very confident rabbit which will probs help him regarding being separated from his family but I still do very sorry for him, all of his brothers and sisters are sold, I'll have a think about perhaps getting a second bun once Cotton's fully grown from perhaps a rescue. Thanks :)

Aww, sounds like a lucky bun :')
I want plenty of pictures once you get the stable up and running, haha :)

The advice I gave on your other thread still stands.

When putting the rug over the cage you still need to ensure there is adequate ventilation.

And I'm afraid your breeder was not a knowledgable breeder, or if they are then they just dont care about the welfare of the animals they sell. No good breeder would let a bun leave his mum before 8 weeks, especially not to go as a lone rabbit.

Hey there, looks like your baby bun is going to have an awesome set up when you get things sorted out in there :D

Please remember that although we think of rabbits as living outside in the wild, they do snuggle up into very warm burrows when it gets cold, nice and warm and cozy with all their bunny family. You could make a cozy place for him inside a cardboard box stuffed with hay. He can burrow into the middle and keep nice and cozy. :) I would also cover the bottom of the cage you have there with straw, which is a much better insulator that hay or sawdust. I believe sawdust isn't recommended for rabbits, as it can cause respiratory problems.

Once you've made it all snug with the hay and straw, I would use the horse blankets as you are doing, but being very careful to leave a little open for ventilation. Not too much tho, It's more important to keep warm that see out at night!

In winter it's straw, hay and cardboard all the way, they can never have enough :D

Hi :wave:

As above, please don't put the rabbit and guinea pig together...

I'm always told (my non bunny 'people') that rabbits 'are outdoor animals anyway so used to the cold' - but.... in the wild, they'd live in groups in warrens, which are tunnels, so insulated, and huddled together. Mine live in a 6ft x 4ft shed, so theres soooo much open space, I imagine in a stable, theres even more space. I think the cage itself will be chilly for him, as its just bars.....

Mine have a big wooden house filled with straw in their shed, but they don't tend to use it. I also put a cardboard box filled with straw in for them.

Snugglesafe heat pads are good (especially as he's so young) - is there any reason why he's been sold when he's only 7 weeks?

Also, as above, he's probably a little young to be having too much veg etc - and did he get fed the same food with the breeder? His diet should be AT LEAST 80% hay - technically, they don't 'need' anything else.

That's exactly what we did the first evening when we found he was cold smallbrownfrog, stuffed lots of straw in it and put in the cardboard box he came in. Researched into the smuggle safe pads before we got him but after a few days monitoring I think he is all a ok. He's on the same rabbit food he was on before and with his previous owners and he was slowly introduced veg, he was also more than ready to leave his mum. Thanks for your concern everyone. The rug covers all sides bar one so he has enough ventilation but it is also keeping warm in and no doubt making him feel safer. He's very happy and settled in fine and at his current size can easily get 4 his in the cage and can clamber around enough and he's been getting lots of floor time :)

Just so you know carrots are very high in sugar so should only really be fed as a treat, especially as bunny is a baby I would avoid them. It's the stereotypical view that all rabbits are like bugs bunny and love carrots, it may be the case but it's not great for them :wave:

I didn't start introducing my outdoor 2 to veg to mine until they were 5/6 months as they have very delicate tummies. So I would feed the veg you are giving as a treat :) and avoid fruit as it's also high in sugar :)

I would just fill that cage with hay tbh. Then when the stable bit is done that can be used as the litter tray :) (you might be able to fit 4 rabbits his size in but it wouldn't be very comfortable for them ;)) I wouldn't bother putting any woodshavings in as they can cause respiratory problems. My 5 year old indoor rabbit is suffering still with a more or less permanent upper respiratory tract infection :( it's my fault because she was on woodshavings for nearly 3 years before I knew any better :( That cheap easy pet has turned into a very expensive and difficult one. She has cost £200 this month, it's been nearly £1000 for all 4 of them this year. So make sure you can be prepared for unexpected vet bills :wave: when rabbits get poorly they go downhill very quickly, it's important to work out what is and isn't normal for your rabbit as they hide illness very easily being prey animals.

I would definitely recommend spaying/neutering for the health benefits when bunny is old enough, then a rescue can help with bonding and finding the right bun for you:wave: Since my outdoor 2 have been together they are 10x happier and have each other to snuggle up to in the cold.

Last edited:
Just so you know carrots are very high in sugar so should only really be fed as a treat, especially as bunny is a baby I would avoid them. It's the stereotypical view that all rabbits are like bugs bunny and love carrots, it may be the case but it's not great for them :wave:

Mine doesn't even like carrots!

My two late buns loved carrot tops(fronds/greens) Hard to get unless you grow them yourself in the garden,which I did.(carrot fly pest permitting!)
I still enjoy and I like to read about folks rabbits.However I'll not have them again as pets,far too heartbreaking for me,losing my pals. Cleo bun at 4 to severe stasis.Rio rabbit to a sudden screaming collapse at 8..sob.I have my wee 7 year old budgie "Mr Jinks" and our wee Syrian hammy "Sox" who's 6 months.
We also have a regal Bengal cat "Hugo" is one and a half.

That's exactly what we did the first evening when we found he was cold smallbrownfrog, stuffed lots of straw in it and put in the cardboard box he came in. Researched into the smuggle safe pads before we got him but after a few days monitoring I think he is all a ok. He's on the same rabbit food he was on before and with his previous owners and he was slowly introduced veg, he was also more than ready to leave his mum. Thanks for your concern everyone. The rug covers all sides bar one so he has enough ventilation but it is also keeping warm in and no doubt making him feel safer. He's very happy and settled in fine and at his current size can easily get 4 his in the cage and can clamber around enough and he's been getting lots of floor time :)

In the UK is is actually illegal to sell/rehome an animal below 8 weeks old except in exceptional circumstances such as the mum died.

She couldn't remember the exact date and I had to wait a fair few weeks to get him, she wouldn't have sold him if he wasn't ready so can you please drop the fuss about his age!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwtI_vBvbTs
this is a video of him exploring the bathroom, excuse trackies, chipped nail varnish and stripey socks haha! :love:

We've put the run in the stable now as it's too cold to put the guinea pig on the lawn now anyway so he has even more space and more things to play on x

Back