• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

De-miting

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Is Xeno 450 the only option?

I'm going to do all my outsiders, but Xeno 450 would cost a bundle. Is there a cheaper, yet still effective way?

Thanks.

Does Baephar do something for mites??

I used to use Stronghold on my ferrets but I think thats a no no in bunny use....

Some form of Ivermectin???

My vet has successfully prescribed Stronghold (Revolution) for one of our rabbits. It is selamectin from the avermectin family which also includes ivermectin. None of the spot-ons are ovicidal but it is thought selamectin stays in sufficient strength at the skin surface to kill the eggs as they hatch which means sometimes a second application is not necessary. It worked for ours with one application.

Check with your vet about 'eprinex'. It's an ivomectin cattle pour on that I know has succesfully been used on chickens for scaley leg.

As a bonus it is about £30 for half a litre:shock:

I know I don't need to tell you, but incase others are reading just to confirm.
IT IS NOT LICENCED FOR RABBITS SO ASK YOUR VET FIRST!!!

I have never used it except on cattle but if the mg/ml dosage works out the same it might just do the job.

:wave: beaphar do a spot on mite treatment the main ingredent is ivermectin same as xeno 450, and its a quarter of the price of the xeno :)

The beaphar one works - Willow had awful mites and after I used it skin scrapings confirmed it had killed them all.

I definitely recommend the pharmaq 1% ivermectin drops that helen has suggested. I spent a fortune on xeno and the mites came back again, one of the exotics vets gave me a 10ml bottle of this and there was enough to treat 12 buns for 3 weeks with some to spare! The mites didn't come back this time, plus you only need one drop per 500g body weight so it is very quick and easy to apply. I have ordered it from here, it is the cheapest place I found including postage: http://petsensedirect.co.uk/acatalog/Pharmaq_Ivermectin_Drops_0.8__10ml.html
They also do the 5ml bottle.

Back