• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you change litter trays

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Well I used to use wood cat litter at the bottom of the litter trays and that worked really well, it would last for about 5 days to a week depending on how much free range time they got.

But I always forget to buy new bags and it I can't really be bothered to keep buying it. So I started just using newspaper and hay. But unfortunately I forgot I hadn't put any litter in there and left it for as long as I normally would. I realised I can't leave it for that long so will have to remind myself (As I found out this morning *puke*)

So how often do you change your trays? Every day/every other day/every 3 days?

I've got a couple of trays and change them daily. I'm usually in a bit of a rush in the mornings though so I have 4 trays in total - 2 clean ones go in the aviary and the 2 dirty ones get taken out for me to empty later on in the day.

It doesn't actually cut down on the work involved but just means I can do it at a time to suit, usually while I'm out there supervising free-range time.

Every other day for me, put about half a newspaper in each now. Used to use about three newspapers in the lops because Mischa used to drink and wee so much. Always thought it was both of them but it's obvious now it was more Mischa.

Every day - even if you are using an absorbent base for the wee, bunnies produce an awful lot of poop daily and the longer it is left sat there building up, the higher the risk of flystrike. It probably takes me less than 2 minutes to change the trays daily and it doesn't really cost anything as I just use newspaper and baled hay :D

I do them everyday, they have newspaper under the hay. I top up and do a little spot clean later on though. I use pellets for Poppy but her litter tray gets done every other day because she can't eat hay. I just do a spot clean every day for her.

Mine have 2 trays with newspaper and hay and a corner tray with newspaper, wood pellets and hay. The first 2 are done every day and the other is every other day.:)

My two have two huge trays of newspaper (thick layer) and hay. I change every day. I probably onlty have to disinfect every other day - depending on how thick the newspaper is. I'm lucky in that I get lots of newspapers from work.

Mine just have cat litter and Dee's is done every 3-4 days, Alfie and Roobear's is done every 4 days at the moment because I'm trying to wean them off the idea of using their whole hutch as a littertray so they arent using their actual tray much atm :roll:

My giant buns have a medium sized litter tray which is changed daily. The smaller buns that have the underbed storage boxes have theirs changed every other day.

Hi :wave:
I change ours every night. Our two have a litter tray with newspaper in it and I just pull the paper out and clean and replace it. I get lots of help with this as they like to know what is going on in their area and always gets lots of nudges when it is being done!!

Every other day. Megazorb at the bottom covered with hay. It does an amazing job both absorbing wee and there's absolutely no smell. They're outdoor bunsters though.

I have to admit to using wood shavings at the bottom of the litter tray:oops: Poppy never got on with megazorb so we use shavings. I change her litter tray every other day to every 3 days depending on the weather/flies etc. If I notice a lot of flies are around I change it daily though. Basically as needed:p

Twice a week, usually. We use the wood pellet cat litter, with hay on top. I hate how heavy the bags are, though. But then I love how it weighs the boxes down so they can't chuck them all over. I have badly behaved buns :oops:

Back