• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead/fluffy bunny owners

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Imogen has really soggy chops, she dips her face in the water when drinking and either side of her nose theres a big soggy bit of fur (not dental, not snuffles) I can't trim the fur because her whiskers are in the way, and she won't drink from a bottle :lol:

Does this happen to your rabbits? What do you do? I'm worried about it matting or her getting sick from being wet :?

Will try and get a photo as my description is pants :oops:

Imogen has really soggy chops, she dips her face in the water when drinking and either side of her nose theres a big soggy bit of fur (not dental, not snuffles) I can't trim the fur because her whiskers are in the way, and she won't drink from a bottle :lol:

Does this happen to your rabbits? What do you do? I'm worried about it matting or her getting sick from being wet :?

Will try and get a photo as my description is pants :oops:

My lionhead does the same thing he drinks from a bottle and a dish I wouldnt worry too much, He will finish drinking and eating and then will sit for a few mins grooming himself, I just brush him twice a week to stop his fur around his mouth from gettin manky and mated:D If he gets to wet I try and help a little by drying some of his face off but this seems like a game for him catch me if you can game :lol:

I've not notice Spenser having a problem like this. He tends to give his head a good shake after a drink. He doesn't drink all that much, it has to be said.

2jb1mpc.jpg

axln5z.jpg

15wcms1.jpg

She quite often sniffs at the water but doesnt take a drink so thats probably making this worse :roll::lol: it's right where her whiskers are so hard to brush/dry/trim :?

I have that with a couple of mine and so I trim the fur really short around their mouths and chins and it works really well, are you sure there are no dental issues?

I have that with a couple of mine and so I trim the fur really short around their mouths and chins and it works really well, are you sure there are no dental issues?

yep absolutely :wave: How do you trim the fur without clipping their whiskers :? I'd trim it but I don't want to damage her whiskers :(

I think the looking in the bowl/dipping her face in it comes from the fact she has limited sight, I've noticed she goes up to things really close alot more than Sebastian does. Not just food/water but toys and walls and feet etc aswell

Last edited:
yep absolutely :wave: How do you trim the fur without clipping their whiskers :? I'd trim it but I don't want to damage her whiskers :(

I think the looking in the bowl/dipping her face in it comes from the fact she has limited sight, I've noticed she goes up to things really close alot more than Sebastian does. Not just food/water but toys and walls and feet etc aswell

Yes, that's right, the problem I have is with those with limited sight, anyway I get Roy to hold the bunny and clip carefully with scissors avoiding the whiskars, it takes time but it's really worth doing, I found that if I leave it then they get really sore under their chins

Yes, that's right, the problem I have is with those with limited sight, anyway I get Roy to hold the bunny and clip carefully with scissors avoiding the whiskars, it takes time but it's really worth doing, I found that if I leave it then they get really sore under their chins

I suppose that just confirms my fears about her sight really poor Immy! :( What scissors do you recommend? I was wondering if baby nail scissors would work?

I suppose that just confirms my fears about her sight really poor Immy! :( What scissors do you recommend? I was wondering if baby nail scissors would work?

Yes, that's what I use and they are very short so less likely to do damage, but I always make sure I do it realy carefully and slowly:thumb:

Thankfully it doesn't happen to ours very often, tend to just keep an eye on it.

Nibbles today peed on the kitchen floor then decided he wanted to roll on his back, he had pee on one side of his face :shock: the pet wet wipes came out and he was not a fan!

i have this issue with x3 the lion boys are forever Getting mucky faces, I trim what i can off, Although even with it trimed i have to towel dry Jays face 2-3 times a day.

finally managed to trim her face :lol: the skin underneath is looking a bit red but I'm hoping now the fur is short she won't keep getting wet and it'll dry out :thumb: if it doesn't we'll be off to the vets next week!

finally managed to trim her face :lol: the skin underneath is looking a bit red but I'm hoping now the fur is short she won't keep getting wet and it'll dry out :thumb: if it doesn't we'll be off to the vets next week!

It should dry up now, I always keep mine bunnies short because it really helps, hope bunny will be OK:thumb:

Once she's dried out I think I'll give her an even more severe trim :lol: right now it's hard to work out what she'll look like! I've given the wet fur a comb through aswell as it was getting a bit knotty :(

Once she's dried out I think I'll give her an even more severe trim :lol: right now it's hard to work out what she'll look like! I've given the wet fur a comb through aswell as it was getting a bit knotty :(

It's always hard to trim wet fur as it doesn't seem to cut properly, give it another go when it's dried and I am sure it will improve it

Back