• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there any disinfectant (eg. Jeyes) that can kill myxi virus?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
My dad will most certainly be burning the hutch but I was wondering about the run, she had been in it since contracting the virus but is there any way we could jet wash and disinfect/bleach it with something strong and leave it at his for a few months?

If it's not safe we'll obviously burn it but it's a really big run in a great condition and my grandma could do with one if there's any way we can make it safe

ETA: Forgot to mention it's a wooden run

Last edited:
I am sure if you do all that you can it will be fine. The virus is around all the time but April and September are supposed to be the worst periods.

Most veterinary grade disinfectants should be effective, I believe that virkon is. Do a quick google search to find the manufacturers sheets for virkon, trigene, f10 etc as they should list what they have been proven effective against. If the hutch is large and in good condition, if you can find a disinfectant which kills it, then I don't think there's really any need to burn it as it is transmitted through fluids so the risk would be tiny anyway.

Good luck x

Most veterinary grade disinfectants should be effective, I believe that virkon is. Do a quick google search to find the manufacturers sheets for virkon, trigene, f10 etc as they should list what they have been proven effective against. If the hutch is large and in good condition, if you can find a disinfectant which kills it, then I don't think there's really any need to burn it as it is transmitted through fluids so the risk would be tiny anyway.

Good luck x

Thanks very much, I'll try find the data sheets :wave: The hutch is an alright size but I don't think it's in the best condition, but the main reason for wanting to get rid of the hutch was that she was in there most of the time, weeing there, pooing there, maybe leaving fluids there, whereas the run only has little bits of wood around the edges

I can't find any data sheets that specifically say Virkon/Trigene/F10 kill myxi but a few rabbity websites have mentioned virkon

By the look of it, myxi is a member of the poxviridae family, and virkon is effective against that. I suspect the others are too. If the hutch isn't in too great a condition, probably best to let it get burnt anyway, though. Hope you can at least salvage the run x

By the look of it, myxi is a member of the poxviridae family, and virkon is effective against that. I suspect the others are too. If the hutch isn't in too great a condition, probably best to let it get burnt anyway, though. Hope you can at least salvage the run x

Ooh okay thankyou very much x

I may be wrong, but I thought post myxi the main thing was to eliminate parasites because they are the transmission risk, not to treat the hutch with the intention of killing the virus. I would treat with a decent ant mite/flea treatment and then wash well to remove that prior to re-use.

I may be wrong, but I thought post myxi the main thing was to eliminate parasites because they are the transmission risk, not to treat the hutch with the intention of killing the virus. I would treat with a decent ant mite/flea treatment and then wash well to remove that prior to re-use.

It will be jetwashed and left for a few months anyway, if that doesn't get rid of any mites/fleas then surely the virkon would kill them? We believe it was mosquitos that gave her it anyway as my dads garden had flooded and there were a lot about

Back