• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rhd vaccine

Bunnyx

Warren Scout
Hello i work at a vets training to be a vet nurse :)
i have brought my buns in this am to have thier myxy vacc
vet says i should go ahead and try out the new one,
i have read all these threads and the data sheet and am aware
it says it may not have as good affect on vhd - ( they have both
been previously vaccinated with the separate vaccs) they were
due myxy in may and arnt due vhd till jan 13 i dont know what to do?!!
which one should i go for we still have the other myxy on here aswell but
then the new one claims to be even better at providing immunity for myxy
just worried it wont be as effective on vhd?! we have seen a few buns with
myxy this month though? anyone got any buns previously vaccinacted with
the separate ones tried the new one? any advicee please :) xx

Ori had the combined vacc last month. He was due his 6 month myxi but his VHD wasn't due until December. He was absolutely fine having the VHD early and our vet recommended that route because the myxi protection is better with the combined vacc.

yep mine have been done :wave: they werent due there VHD till next year but we did it anyway :wave: both are absolutely fine :wave:

aww thanks guys :) i was just worried about it not having as much immunity on vhd
as thats what it said on the data sheet but then i guess they wouldnt of made the vaccine
if it was that uneffective and also a lot of people on here said they were still going to stick
with the old style! i just went ahead with the new one and had both buns done with it :)
they have been vaccinated 6 times with the other myxy and about three
vhds and theyre 4! i think 1 vaccine
a year will be better than all of those! im mainly worried about myxy anyway working st
a vets weve seen quite a few buns this month :( thanks for your feedback :D xxx

As far as I have understood it the issue with lowered VHD immunity is if they previously had a live VHD vaccine. This is the vaccine that was commonly being used in Europe but not the vaccine commonly used in the UK.
Personally I would change over to the combined vaccine when the VHD s due rather than when the Myxi is due.

oh thats okay then :) thankyou!!! oh dear ive done it now and they were only
due the myxy but its better protection at myxy and thats what i was worried about
most :) think i done the right thing! at least theyre vaccinated!!! :) xx

If the myxi one was due in May you are 4 months overdue in getting their vaccination! Aren't you worried?

I would go with the new combined jab, it gives a full year protection against myxi, unlike the previous ones that only give 6 months. It also gives the year protection from vhd, the reduced immunity to vhd is only a risk if the rabbit has been exposed to the myxo virus before, as in the european vaccines - the UK vaccines (as your vet should know) are made from a different, but related virus.

I don't think I will have a choice as the combined is what my new vet uses. I would opt. for it anyway- I'm more concerned about Myxi than VHD, as I think Myxi causes more suffering. Also- it will be less stressful for the buns to go to the vet once per year instead of three times.

Back