• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stupid Council

Dave81

Mama Doe
I can't get an extra bin for the waste my rabbits produce as its a lifestyle choice to have them, yep fair enough however the voicemail message then went on to say if they were children then I would qualify for the bin, hmm if I had 4 children wouldn't that be a lifestyle choice too??

So just to be a pain I'm costing them more than an additional bin would have been. Every fortnight im raising a bulky items request for the removal of x number of black bags.

This means a council employee has to raise the request to the contractors who then have to send a van with the cage on and 2 men to collect the items to take to the processing site.

If only i could just have that bin it could just be collected as normal by the binmen

So annoying, my council happily gave me one! It was delivered the following day. Surely it helps them meet recycling targets?

1. Could you compost it?
2. Have you informed your local Councillor of how silly the situation currently is?
3. You could write a letter to the local paper expressing how silly the Council's current policy is.
4. You could write a complaint to the person in charge of waste and suggest what you would like them to provide instead. It does seem Council's are starting to charge for bins these days- even if they get stolen, which isn't your fault.

Mine won't take the buns hay as garden waste, even though I pointed out bun poo was excellent fertiliser.

They have to send around a surveyor to see whether you are eligible for a larger/second bin but I haven't even bothered asking....

Have this problem two, up until know we've have black bin bags so we've been able to have as much waste as we want, but we've just gotten a small black bin that's only going to be emptied every 2 weeks.

I've been in contact and I'm hoping because there are six of us they are going to let us have another bin, my parents have a 240l bin between just two of them, how are six of us supposed to live with one small bin? >.<

I HATE that they will give bins out to people with children and not those with pets, no-one has to have children, it's ridiculous >.<.

Me and my house mates got a house together because we all had pets, one thing we didn't think about was the amount of waste we'd produce!

Our council were happy to give us a 2nd garden waste bin, as long as it's recyclable stuff it's no problem. :?

No option to compost it as yard really isn't big enough for that to be fair.

I haven't taken it any further as my workaround works. Although if they ever took that away I would

We can't have a 2nd bin either and we use way more than 1 as it's collected every 2 weeks. They told us we have to go to the tip ourselves with it though.

Ruthie xxx

I can't get an extra bin for the waste my rabbits produce as its a lifestyle choice to have them, yep fair enough however the voicemail message then went on to say if they were children then I would qualify for the bin, hmm if I had 4 children wouldn't that be a lifestyle choice too??

So just to be a pain I'm costing them more than an additional bin would have been. Every fortnight im raising a bulky items request for the removal of x number of black bags.

This means a council employee has to raise the request to the contractors who then have to send a van with the cage on and 2 men to collect the items to take to the processing site.

If only i could just have that bin it could just be collected as normal by the binmen

our council won't do bulky black bags - they used to charge £25 a bag for removal of extra bags but now won't do it at all. i don't have a car. if i put any bags outside the neighbour calls the council and they threaten me with an order re 'noxious waste'. (my neighbour is a very, very horrible man). so i have to go to great lengths (and expense. last quote was £240 for 20 bags, from a private firm) to get rid of the stuff...

I'm glad the woman who phoned me got my voicemail as she sounded so condescending, I'd of verbally torn her to shreds if I'd of answered. (Even though I know she doesn't set the policy)

Our council say animal waste is a hazardous and won't collect it all all :shock: they don't distinguish between dog poo and rabbit poo etc. I would have to get a yellow hazard bag and pay for it to be incinerated, like the ones they have in care homes. But you're allowed to put babies nappies in the bin...

Do you have to give a reason why you want an extra bin? Writing a letter would be good but you do run the risk of them saying you shouldn't be putting it in the bin at all. You may also find they have a restriction on the collection of bulky items. Durham council only allowed a maximum of two collections a month. Not sure about where I am not.
Could you just buy a recycle wheelie bin? They're only about £50.

There's a form I had to fill out which had pre printed reasons on, I ticked other then explained what I needed it for. You can't lie on the form like by saying you have 4 children or there are x number of people living in the house as if your accepted a home visit is then booked in

Even if I bought my own bin it wouldn't get emptied as the bin men wouldn't touch it. They know which ones are legit and how many each house has

If they ever stop me using the bulky waste scheme I will write to my mp and complain.

I just can't believe I have to bypass them using a different process when the cheaper option is just give me the additional bin, I didn't even want the large one just a small to complement the large I have

Our council were happy to give us a 2nd garden waste bin, as long as it's recyclable stuff it's no problem. :?

Apparently none of the stuff we use can go into garden waste. The rats, gerbil, and my hamster have cardboard, some megazorb, and 100% paper cat litter. The pigs have those big horse wood shavings, my house mates hamsters have wood shavings and the rabbits get cardboard, wood shavings and hay in their litter trays. Oh, and lots of newspaper gets used as well.

Do you know anyone with an allotment who you could give it to? I compost my rabbit waste or sometimes throw the poos over the lawn lol
the council are a right nightmare though, mine and my neighbours wheelie bins were stolen and they refused to replace them for free unless we downsized to a 40litre bin or it was £25 for the normal size. I downsized because we dont actually have much waste but it really peeved me as we have only been in our houses 6 months and it happened to me and my neighbour and we only want wheelie bins so as not to attract vermin....

We have no bins - we are allowed to put out 2 black bags per week. Bulky waste you can have up to 3 times per year.

ETA I mean no bins provided by the council you have to buy your own and then you have to take the two bags from the bin and put them near the road for collection.

Last edited:
Oh and I've just remembered the condescending lady saying she could visit me to show me how to recycle. I recycle everything I can with the council scheme and would with the bunny waste if they offered, but pigs will fly first on that one

Oh and I've just remembered the condescending lady saying she could visit me to show me how to recycle. I recycle everything I can with the council scheme and would with the bunny waste if they offered, but pigs will fly first on that one

Maybe you should take her up on the offer, show her everything you do and then ask her how she can suggest the council can help you improve? Even better if you could get a journalist from the local paper to cover it. Maybe you could contact them- explain the whole situation and see if they would like to do a piece on you seeking help from the council to live a greener life! I foresee an ending that includes the words egg and face...

Maybe you should take her up on the offer, show her everything you do and then ask her how she can suggest the council can help you improve? Even better if you could get a journalist from the local paper to cover it. Maybe you could contact them- explain the whole situation and see if they would like to do a piece on you seeking help from the council to live a greener life! I foresee an ending that includes the words egg and face...

Yeah, I'd say get her over!!

Back