• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad vets

smallbrownfrog

Warren Scout
As I'm sure you're all aware, it's Rabbit Awareness Week, and lots of vets are doing free health checks. Being new to the area I thought I might check out the only vet that was taking part in this, so off Harvey and I go to the vets.

1hr later we depart, with 6 people in the waiting room waiting for that one vet to get on with it, I had just spent the entire time tutoring the "vet" and the student on how to do a basic rabbit health check, what and how to check things.

I instructing them that no, the first sign or bad teeth was not always, in fact, a runny bum, that instructing owners to totally remove all pellets was not good advice, that there are pellets that are good for rabbits to eat and that they should be offered them as well as just hay, that it is in fact easy to check the teeth with the scope, (we went carefully through the process until he was confident doing it) and very important to do so, that one should check the ears, and here's how and what to look out for..... I even had to instruct them on how to pick them up, and THAT took 5 mins and several attempts!

And they are giving advice!! and OPERATING!! :shock:

On my way out I asked the receptionist if they ever sell hay. She said they might be stocking rabbit food, but not bedding. I said hay is a large portion of the rabbit's food. She said she may be getting food, but not hay... I left. Glad I had not payed for the experience, utterly shocked and stunned with the vet. Very chuffed with Harvey who was confident and friendly throughout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine if there had been something wrong with him! Makes me mad that they are advertising themselves as people who want to help out raising awareness when the don't know even the smallest thing about them! :evil:

As I'm sure you're all aware, it's Rabbit Awareness Week, and lots of vets are doing free health checks. Being new to the area I thought I might check out the only vet near Hackney that was taking part in this, so off Harvey and I go to the vets near Stepney Green Station.

1hr later we depart, with 6 people in the waiting room waiting for that one vet to get on with it, I had just spent the entire time tutoring the "vet" and the student on how to do a basic rabbit health check, what and how to check things.

I instructing them that no, the first sign or bad teeth was not always, in fact, a runny bum, that instructing owners to totally remove all pellets was not good advice, that there are pellets that are good for rabbits to eat and that they should be offered them as well as just hay, that it is in fact easy to check the teeth with the scope, (we went carefully through the process until he was confident doing it) and very important to do so, that one should check the ears, and here's how and what to look out for..... I even had to instruct them on how to pick them up, and THAT took 5 mins and several attempts!

And they are giving advice!! and OPERATING!! :shock:

On my way out I asked the receptionist if they ever sell hay. She said they might be stocking rabbit food, but not bedding. I said hay is a large portion of the rabbit's food. She said she may be getting food, but not hay... I left. Glad I had not payed for the experience, utterly shocked and stunned with the vet. Very chuffed with Harvey who was confident and friendly throughout.

so how much did the vet pay you for your excellent consultation :)

HA! I wish!

I've since been to the Royal Veterinarian Collage with one of my cats, and accidentally discovered that vets do not have to carry out any training on rabbits to graduate with a full qualification, scalpels at the ready to perform any op they deem fit. :?

Is there any way you could stop them offering this under the heading of 'rabbit awareness' as its an external and national campaign? Seems they could do more harm than good.... the very idea of a vet not knowing how to check teeth! Or pick up a bunny! Ridiculous!

Back