• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wrong section! Bales of hay!

yamazumi

Warren Scout
I've convinced the council to give us a green garden waste bin, with our new bins they never said we wouldn't be getting one so I was a bit miffed when they didn't drop one off with the recycling boxes and such! We live in a terrace and our garden is tiny and we have next to nothing garden waste wise, but I've seen people keeping large amounts of hay in them so thought that'd be a great way to save money!

It's a big bin, I think it's either 199l or 240l but I've lost the paper work for them! Anyway, I'd like to buy a bale of hay, we have 3 pigs and 2 rabbits in the house and we buy small bags for around £3 which is ridiculous when you can get bales for £3 - £5.

I've been looking locally and online, but I'm not sure how much hay will fit in the bin. Some hay can stay inside as we already have containers for it but the bulk of it will be in the wheely bin.

Does anyone do something similar?

I just realised I'm in completely the wrong section here.

bales come in different sizes. Potentially if the hay bale is the right width you could get the whole bae in. The one's I get are about 1'2 X 1'6 X 4'

A standard 240 litre wheely bin will just nicely hold a standard bale of hay. Bales do vary a little in size but I've only ever had one that was too big to go in. It was brilliant value for money, though. I put the bales straight in, then cut the string. Sometimes I take the bin with me and get the supplier to put the bale in - saves the mess in the van - otherwise, use an old duvet cover to transport it.

Keep the bin out of direct sun so that the hay doesn't sweat and possibly go mouldy. I have never had a problem with rain getting in or the wind lifting the lid.

A standard 240 litre wheely bin will just nicely hold a standard bale of hay. Bales do vary a little in size but I've only ever had one that was too big to go in. It was brilliant value for money, though. I put the bales straight in, then cut the string. Sometimes I take the bin with me and get the supplier to put the bale in - saves the mess in the van - otherwise, use an old duvet cover to transport it.

Keep the bin out of direct sun so that the hay doesn't sweat and possibly go mouldy. I have never had a problem with rain getting in or the wind lifting the lid.

Great! I''ll find out some bale sizes. I was planning on weighing the lid down with something to make sure it wouldn't open during any particularly windy days.
Sun isn't a problem, I live on a end terrace but there are buildings all around use blocking out the sun haha, we get random patches of it throughout the day... if you know, the sun actually comes out.

Back