• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really need some advice about dentals

Becky:)

Alpha Buck
Tinkerbell has been losing weight steadily... the vet said he didn't think it was her teeth..and to see how it went. She has got VERY thin...took some blood today to check sugars and kidney function and they are normal. Vet decides its her teeth , she is still eating fine (he says there are no spurs etc. but her teeth are un even which may be causing difficulties to her chewing) So watched her carefully eating tonight, she is chewing a lot, I mixed pellets with water (to soften them) and she wolfed it down, her weight is down to 1.1 kg (in her peak she was 2.4) the vet wanted to file her teeth under anaesthetic on Monday...but is worried she is too thin to make it...I think I should spend some time feeding her softened pellets and other weight gaining food before she goes to have them filed. She is booked in for Monday but I don't know wether to phone up tomorrow and cancel it in the hope she can put on some weight? If anybody thinks they know what would be for the best PLEASE let me know your experiences.
Thank you

I think that if you've only just started her on the softened pellets you should give those a chance to work before going for the dental if she's so thin it's likely to make the GA risky for her.

I also would postpone it because you have a bad feeling about the GA. I know that's not rational but often when people here have lost buns they had a bad feeling beforehand about it, and when you combine your own doubts with the more scientific approach of fattening her up a bit on pellets first, I would be inclined to postpone it....

It's a really tricky one isn't it - there is always the risk that she continues to lose weight and then the vet will need to do the operation when she is even thinner, but on the other hand she does sound very thin indeed compared to normal. I once had to send Santa for a dental when she was extremely snuffly because her eating was slowing down and the vet had already delayed it once for that reason, so while its not ideal, sometimes you have to decide on balance that its the best option.

Having said that, If you're fairly sure that she ate the softened pellets with much more gusto, how about discussing with your vet whether they could dispense some painkiller for her temporarily, as the softer pellets being eaten may suggest that it hurts her when she eats hard food so some pain relief might help. It is also possible that she does actually have a spur that the vet can't see while she is conscious - Santa used to have regular dentals and on one occasion the vet found a spur which had grown out sideways and was sticking into her cheek, so it does happen. If your vet will give you some pain relief, you could try experimenting with some fattening foods (e.g. Banana, porridge oats soaked in warm water) for a little while - although you do need to be careful introducing things slowly as you could easily upset her very delicate tum by changing the diet quickly.

I'd give your vet a ring and see what they think. Good luck with your little one, it must be a very worrying time.

I have no evidence to back this up but I tink I would try and feed her up a bit first, even if it's only for a week or until Friday (depending on how urgent the vet feels the dental is). Animals can put on weight very quickly and the more strength she can have for the GA the better.

As RedFraggle said.

I would feed her up for a few days with soft pellets. Maybe get some pain relief as well. Don't leave it too long until you book her in. Rabbit teeth can grow an amazing amount in 2 weeks and it could make the problem worse as soft pellets won't be wearing the teeth down as effectively as her normal food. A week of being fattened up could make a big difference if she is in better shape for the anaesthetic, if there is no other reason not to delay. Gut feelings are often right. Obviously, if anything else happens, book her in ASAP.

Thank you for your opinions. I phoned but its always tricky on the phone because you don't get to speak to the vet just the nurse on reception who doesn't know the circumstances and tells you she HAS to have it on Monday...
Its been cancelled and Tink is now seperated (but still able to see the others) with a constant supply of mushed pellets banana and oats which she is tucking into nicely...Weighed her too so fingers crossed, vet nurse also kindly read out my notes on the phone of ' poor prognosis' why thank you for being so caring...

Scarlet's notes from the RSPCA said "long term dental problems, may not do well" and she's doing great. She was 1.5kg when we got her and is now a steady 1.9 to 2 kg.
She also still eats when her teeth are bad, it's only by monitoring her weight you would know she isn't eating as well as she should and even when they're really bad she still eats and doesn't lose much weight anymore. Fingers crossed for Tinkerbell.

Back