• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

31 days on the Button

Mrsmcarey

Mama Doe
So 31 days to the day my sisters bun BB jumped into Lucky's run "lucky by name lucky by nature" we thought / hoped that she was too young and he haddnt noticed she was only in there for 20 mins, but today she has given birth to possibly 6 babies, mom and babies doing well.

This is our first ever bunny litter, any tips on keeping them all safe.

Does she need any special mommy food or just the mix she has been getting?

So 31 days to the day my sisters bun BB jumped into Lucky's run "lucky by name lucky by nature" we thought / hoped that she was too young and he haddnt noticed she was only in there for 20 mins, but today she has given birth to possibly 6 babies, mom and babies doing well.

This is our first ever bunny litter, any tips on keeping them all safe.

Does she need any special mommy food or just the mix she has been getting?

lots of the food she is used to (ad lib), and hay . . I personally also added in alfafa hay as it is so nourishing they pigged it like mad!!!!

Make sure she has time on her own if you can - depending on the set up - in the wild they will spend almost all of the day away from the babies so they do find it stressful to be shut in a hutch with the babies all day . . (as this will 'give away the babies nest to predators'). We let our accidental mum come and go between hutch and run as she wished . . checking always after she had visited that each baby was full of milk and warm and cosy and had not accidentally hung on to the teat and got lifted out of the nest . .

she will only feed once a day . .

lots of the food she is used to (ad lib), and hay . . I personally also added in alfafa hay as it is so nourishing they pigged it like mad!!!!

Make sure she has time on her own if you can - depending on the set up - in the wild they will spend almost all of the day away from the babies so they do find it stressful to be shut in a hutch with the babies all day . . (as this will 'give away the babies nest to predators'). We let our accidental mum come and go between hutch and run as she wished . . checking always after she had visited that each baby was full of milk and warm and cosy and had not accidentally hung on to the teat and got lifted out of the nest . .

she will only feed once a day . .

Thanks, its so exciting hope nothing goes wrong :D
Unfortunately runs are separte from hutch so she will be in all day, but hutch is about 4ft long so plenty of get away space hopefully.
:thumb:

Thanks, its so exciting hope nothing goes wrong :D
Unfortunately runs are separte from hutch so she will be in all day, but hutch is about 4ft long so plenty of get away space hopefully.
:thumb:

It is wonderful to have baby bunnies - even by mistake. We kept all ours because rescues are so full. . . and we just couldnt stand the thought of wondering what their lives had turned out like . .

regarding accommodation - actually 4ft is well below the minimum recommended hutch size for a single rabbit anyway (which most rescues state as a minimum of 6ft with an attached run available at all times) . . but now is certainly not the time to bring in a new hutch as you shouldn't move the nest.

Can you attach some kind of a run to existing hutch just to get her some exercise while the kits are with her (as you cannot take her to a place she cannot get back to them on her own - it will distress her).

Otherwise she will go insane in a 4ft hutch with no opportunity for a run for the 6 plus weeks they are feeding!!! they will also start to pester her for feeding once they are old enough . .

would defo recommend adding the run my wee girls kits r now 4 weeks old she lives in a 4ft by 4ft two tier hutch she also has a run about 4ft by 4ft out the front of her hutch and the babies r still driving her crazy they have worked out how to get up the teirs are pestering her for food and jumpin all over her think she cant wait till they move out lol the more room the better for mummys sanity :lol:

I really would try and do as Parsnipbun suggests as I have known a doe suddenly turn on a litter when she was unable to get away. What accomodation do you have ready for the wee ones when they need separating? Perhaps we could help you improvise something out of that for now?:thumb:

If you can tell us what you have at your disposal I reckon we can magic up a solution :wave:

Hi

Havent read the sticky but i will :oops:

Have seen a photo today, just little pink odd looking things, but cute, the hutches are about 6 foot, I asked, babies are in quite a high rim box so they can't crawl out, the hutches positioned in an 'L' shape already so no wind gets in, dad in one and mom in other, bedroom to bedroom.
Usually both bunnies are outside most of the day, they have beds and cover in the runs.
I have an indoor Bunny 100 that i am going to take over, for babies and an indoor puppy run for them to play in when they are ready.
We think there are 6 and i'm going to take 1 as a pal for my Stu, so he needs to be booked in to 'you know what'.
I think they will keep a girl with mom and we have very good homes lined up for the others, all people we know, are good with pets.
She doesnt want to let strangers have them :roll::lol:

Will see what we can do about run access but the hutches are away from the grass so she would only be able to get out onto the patio anyway, or is that better than being cooped up?

Having a run on a patio is fine, ours is like that permanently so I would say that's better than no run for sure. You'll need to consider the fact that she won't be getting the grass access in terms of food. I think readigrass would be a good substitute or plenty of hay.
Can't help on anything else but good luck!

Having a run on a patio is fine, ours is like that permanently so I would say that's better than no run for sure. You'll need to consider the fact that she won't be getting the grass access in terms of food. I think readigrass would be a good substitute or plenty of hay.
Can't help on anything else but good luck!

Im going over Monday afternoon so will get some for my wee pink neices and nephews (am i sad or wot):lol:
thanks

Back