• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I am worried about Julie. advice needed

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
Julie was drooling a puddle of green juice when eating her greens. She had a dental a week ago Wednesday. I was told that the drooling was because her tongue was irritated and she eats very aggressively so she salivates a lot. It was supose to stop when her tongue was healed. I called the vet as it continued but was told to wait until this weekend for it to finish healing. If she continues to drool she will need an x ray and possibly another dental. This of course will mean more sedation. I am scared to death of her being sedated this close as it took so long for the last one to wear off.
Any ideas?
Is it normal for it to take this long for her to stop drooling.
Her drooling had slowed down quite a bit but started up to full speed yesterday. She is on .7 mil of metacam for arthritis. I cut it down to .6 ml yesterday.
Could this have anything to do with it?
She was eating hay good again too but ate less hay yesterday.
Could she need more time to health or could she need another dental?????

Did the vet give her any anti-biotics to help her tongue heal? Sometimes they will give baytril if the tongue has any cuts on due to teeth I believe. Maybe she needs some.

The do normally dribble when they get a sore mouth so would probably be best to get her checked out. Is your vet bunny savvy and does thorough checks on her?

Did the vet give her any anti-biotics to help her tongue heal? Sometimes they will give baytril if the tongue has any cuts on due to teeth I believe. Maybe she needs some.

The do normally dribble when they get a sore mouth so would probably be best to get her checked out. Is your vet bunny savvy and does thorough checks on
her?

The vet is the most bunny savvy vet that we have around here and she is an hour away. She cares for the rabbit rescue rabbits so does have experience.
She said that Julie didn't have an ulcer on her tongue or cheek just irritation so did not need an antibiotic. She did say that because she didn't slow down eating at all made her drool more. I showed her videos of her eating. She speed eats her greens.

Is the drooling now only when she eats greens or is it when she eats anything at all ?

Jane, she is only drooling when she eats her greens. She just ate her pellets and didn't drool at all. Strange thing is she only ate one tiny bite of her greens so far which is very strange...........:shock: She has not eaten any hay yet this morning. She did drink a lot of water.
What are you thinking?

Jane, she is only drooling when she eats her greens. She just ate her pellets and didn't drool at all. Strange thing is she only ate one tiny bite of her greens so far which is very strange...........:shock: She has not eaten any hay yet this morning. She did drink a lot of water.
What are you thinking?

Well if I have a mouth ulcer certain food types will hurt like hell eg eating a tomato, but other food types are fine. I just wondered if it is something in/on the greens that is stinging the ulcerated area causing excessive salivation.

Do you wash the greens well before serving them ? A trace of anything chemical on the greens, even the chlorinated water many companies use to clean them off, could aggravate an already ulcerated mouth.

I would see how she goes over the next 24 hours and maybe not feed greens during that time.

Well if I have a mouth ulcer certain food types will hurt like hell eg eating a tomato, but other food types are fine. I just wondered if it is something in/on the greens that is stinging the ulcerated area causing excessive salivation.

Do you wash the greens well before serving them ? A trace of anything chemical on the greens, even the chlorinated water many companies use to clean them off, could aggravate an already ulcerated mouth.

I would see how she goes over the next 24 hours and maybe not feed greens during that time.

That does make sense. The vet said it was irritated not an ulcer though but I guess that can still be true for an irritation. I do wash her greens and it makes no difference as to what greens even the carrot tops I grow with no chemicals.
Okay she did end up eating the greens this morning. It was an hour after her metacam dose. I went back up to the .7 ml. There is only a tiny hint of drool.
Now 2 things were different.
She ate them an hour after the metacam.
She ate them slower not that speed aggressive eating.

Could it be possible that the speed attack type eating that she does on the greens could be causing the drooling in itself? Or the metacam makes it hurt less or just both?

That does make sense. The vet said it was irritated not an ulcer though but I guess that can still be true for an irritation. I do wash her greens and it makes no difference as to what greens even the carrot tops I grow with no chemicals.
Okay she did end up eating the greens this morning. It was an hour after her metacam dose. I went back up to the .7 ml. There is only a tiny hint of drool.
Now 2 things were different.
She ate them an hour after the metacam.
She ate them slower not that speed aggressive eating.

Could it be possible that the speed attack type eating that she does on the greens could be causing the drooling in itself? Or the metacam makes it hurt less or just both?

It could be, but it's impossible to say for sure.

If she is also not eating hay- so effectively only eating pellets with no obvious problem then it may be her teeth again. The jaw action needed to eat hay/greens is more side-to-side grinding where-as that needed to chew pellets is more up-and-down if you see what I mean. It may be that side-to-side chewing is uncomfortable where-as up-and-down chewing is ok.

I'd keep a close eye on her poo output too as very small poo would indicate sluggish guts.

Have you had a feel along her jaw for any sign of lumpiness and does her mouth smell offensive at all ?

I'm afraid I have no advice but hope Julie feels better soon. I also wanted to say thank you for an informative thread as I am learning things today, unfortunate as it is through Julie being unwell.

It could be, but it's impossible to say for sure.

If she is also not eating hay- so effectively only eating pellets with no obvious problem then it may be her teeth again. The jaw action needed to eat hay/greens is more side-to-side grinding where-as that needed to chew pellets is more up-and-down if you see what I mean. It may be that side-to-side chewing is uncomfortable where-as up-and-down chewing is ok.

I'd keep a close eye on her poo output too as very small poo would indicate sluggish guts.

Have you had a feel along her jaw for any sign of lumpiness and does her mouth smell offensive at all ?

Okay, there is no lumpiness around her jaw but my feeling of it did turn into a long message session. She loved it and didn't want me to stop. She rubs into it and licks me when I stop and then nudges me.
Her poops look normal but I cleaned the litter box so I can keep an eye on it.
She did eat some hay but doesn't seem to be eating as much as she did right after the dental but then again I skipped the lunch greens. She just went in the hay now.
The vet did say that her front teeth are slightly misaligned now but not terrible.

So sorry to hear Julie has been having a few issues.
I really hope you get them sorted.
Don't have any advice sorry but wishing you both well.

Okay, there is no lumpiness around her jaw but my feeling of it did turn into a long message session. She loved it and didn't want me to stop. She rubs into it and licks me when I stop and then nudges me.
Her poops look normal but I cleaned the litter box so I can keep an eye on it.
She did eat some hay but doesn't seem to be eating as much as she did right after the dental but then again I skipped the lunch greens. She just went in the hay now.
The vet did say that her front teeth are slightly misaligned now but not terrible.

I have seen this happen before in older Rabbits, even those with no previous history of Dental problems. I think it might be to do with changes in bone density leading to issues with the teeth/roots etc. I had a Doe, Maya, who suddenly developed problems with her Incisors at the age of 7. Never had a Dental problem before and she was with me from 8 weeks of age, always had a very good hay based diet. In the end my Vet had to remove Maya's Incisors and she coped very well. Her molars required less frequent treatment too, once the Incisors were out. It does not sound as though Julie is at that stage at the moment though :)

I have seen this happen before in older Rabbits, even those with no previous history of Dental problems. I think it might be to do with changes in bone density leading to issues with the teeth/roots etc. I had a Doe, Maya, who suddenly developed problems with her Incisors at the age of 7. Never had a Dental problem before and she was with me from 8 weeks of age, always had a very good hay based diet. In the end my Vet had to remove Maya's Incisors and she coped very well. Her molars required less frequent treatment too, once the Incisors were out. It does not sound as though Julie is at that stage at the moment though :)

Does sound like Maya. The vet said that Julie's teeth and arthritis in her hips are due to aging and that she thinks that she does has some bone loss. She did not do the x ray to determine the amount of bone loss. She said that she would if we really wanted it but felt that she still has good muscle mass and says her spine and back seem fine so she didn't think the x ray would tell us much as this point but she did mention if the drooling did not stop she would need an x ray of her teeth to see if there are other problems. Julie is 8. I just really worry about sedation.
Julie did take a nap in her hay this afternoon and did look to be eating hay while napping.
Unfortunately the OH just went into the kitchen to get a dish of ice cream and Julie came at him one hundred miles an hour begging. She stood on 2 feet in front of the frig. He gave her greens which she was finishing the last bite by the time I found out about it. :(

Does sound like Maya. The vet said that Julie's teeth and arthritis in her hips are due to aging and that she thinks that she does has some bone loss. She did not do the x ray to determine the amount of bone loss. She said that she would if we really wanted it but felt that she still has good muscle mass and says her spine and back seem fine so she didn't think the x ray would tell us much as this point but she did mention if the drooling did not stop she would need an x ray of her teeth to see if there are other problems. Julie is 8. I just really worry about sedation.
Julie did take a nap in her hay this afternoon and did look to be eating hay while napping.
Unfortunately the OH just went into the kitchen to get a dish of ice cream and Julie came at him one hundred miles an hour begging. She stood on 2 feet in front of the frig. He gave her greens which she was finishing the last bite by the time I found out about it. :(

Oh dont worry, she may dribble a wee bit but I really dont think they will harm her

Got any Ice Cream going spare, my favorite !! :lol:

Oh dont worry, she may dribble a wee bit but I really dont think they will harm her

Got any Ice Cream going spare, my favorite !! :lol:

Sure. Come on over. We have Vanilla Bean that is made from Coconut Milk and Chocolate Marble Fudge that is Rice Dream Ice Cream. Both are very good.

Sure. Come on over. We have Vanilla Bean that is made from Coconut Milk and Chocolate Marble Fudge that is Rice Dream Ice Cream. Both are very good.

Yummy !!!

I'll have some of the Vanilla Bean one on my breakfast cereal !! :love:

How is Julie doing now ??

Yummy !!!

I'll have some of the Vanilla Bean one on my breakfast cereal !! :love:

How is Julie doing now ??

Bet it would be yummy on my oatmeal. :lol: I am supper sensitive to refined sugar and those 2 don't use refined sugar to sweeten. The coconut milk ice cream uses agave and the rice dream uses brown rice syrup. We tried the coconut milk one for the first time yesterday. Yummy.

I gave Julie her pellets first this morning and her greens an hours after the metacam dose. She drooled very little while eating them.
I know that you said that we should not feed the greens for a while. I agree and am trying but she is such a beggar and will even scratch the frig until we give in. I am cutting back on how much though. It seems if I don't give the greens that she never gives up begging but if we give a tiny bit she eats it then will go eat hay. She did that yesterday and this morning.

Bet it would be yummy on my oatmeal. :lol: I am supper sensitive to refined sugar and those 2 don't use refined sugar to sweeten. The coconut milk ice cream uses agave and the rice dream uses brown rice syrup. We tried the coconut milk one for the first time yesterday. Yummy.

I gave Julie her pellets first this morning and her greens an hours after the metacam dose. She drooled very little while eating them.
I know that you said that we should not feed the greens for a while. I agree and am trying but she is such a beggar and will even scratch the frig until we give in. I am cutting back on how much though. It seems if I don't give the greens that she never gives up begging but if we give a tiny bit she eats it then will go eat hay. She did that yesterday and this morning.

She has you well trained !! :lol:

Back