• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can I mix Baytril with apple juice?

squibbins

New Kit
I'm struggling to get my rabbits to take accept their Baytril, even though they are 14 days into myxi they are still putting up one hell of a fight. The vet told me that it's probably because it tastes foul, and told me to dilute it with water. I just wondered if anyone has tried mixing it with juice, I was going to try apple juice but wondered if it might mess with the efficacy/absorption of the drug? Any advice on making Baytril more palatable please?

Im having similar problems at the moment. I've seen that others have used apple juice, ribena, pineapple juice, critical care, pieces of bread, baby food, mashed up banana and even shreddies. I haven't tried the complete list yet but so far nothing has worked and we're all very stressed. Tried to hide it in a rolled up lettuce leaf last night and pellets this morning but not much luck. Hope one of these will work for you :)

Im having similar problems at the moment. I've seen that others have used apple juice, ribena, pineapple juice, critical care, pieces of bread, baby food, mashed up banana and even shreddies. I haven't tried the complete list yet but so far nothing has worked and we're all very stressed. Tried to hide it in a rolled up lettuce leaf last night and pellets this morning but not much luck. Hope one of these will work for you :)

I've never known a bun who will eat Baytril mixed with anything of its own accord. I have no problem syringing it in to the mouth but if you want to improve the taste then draw up the dose of Baytril the draw up a wee bit of apple juice, ribera, fruit tea.

Baytril does taste absolutely disgusting! I usually mix mine with Ribena and then it's not so bad - you just have to syringe it in and tell bunny you're 'so sorry' for making him take it!! I also find it's handy to have a treat on hand for immediately after they've taken it to take the horrid taste away - I give banana. :roll:

I always put it on a bit of weetabix, Doughnut loves weetabix and it absorbs it. She only gets weetabix when I need to give her meds and it's so much less stressful than trying to syringe.

We tend to ask for it so we can inject it ourselves as we then know the bunny will get it. I know this is not ideal for everyone if you are not confident or your vet won't let you but might be worth considering for those brave enough.

Alternatively I have tried previously to mix with juices or put on a little piece of bread (only when getting meds).

Thanks to everybody for all the great suggestions - I have been using Ribena for the last couple of days, boy bunny is still really hard work (I take that to be a good sign!) and the girl is liking it a bit too much! They are showing improvement today, going into week 3 now. I would much rather give injections, particularly for the effects on digestion and the boy bunny is I think in some discomfort with his sore mouth, but have to do this alone and no way can I hold these skittish bunnies and give them jabs! However, on a positive note, the girl is eating well and much livelier, although the lad is still very congested, but is managing soft food. Thank you again, I will be trying some more of the suggested ways to disguise Baytril in the next few days.

My Jakey has also got myxi. Luckily he'd had his myxi vacc so hes got it mildly - just lumps. Hes on baytril aswell to stop secondary infection and I draw up 1ml of baytril and then 1/2ml of apple juice that has been diluted with a bit of water. He hates having medicine so I wrap him up in a towel and then give him a bit at a time and keep telling him what a good boy he is. Hes also been on metacam for pain releif but we ran out of that yesterday. After hes had his meds he sits there licking his lips so I think he likes the apple juice. :)

Back