• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Redundancy...... Rabbit question.

R.P.B.G.G

Mama Doe
My brother has been made redundant this morning,
He and his fiancée have a indoor bun, Mini Lop.

They are going to have to move out of their house and in with someone, so Rolo may have to come and live here as an outside bun (we simple don't have room inside for him, and he has a double tiered indoor hutch) but have a spare hutch for him outside.

Is it too late?

Im in Kent, and its only really overnight that's its a bit milder at the moment, looking at the weather it isn't meant to change significantly, although meant to rain, temp is meant to stay about the same,

Ive never had an indoor bun so just have no idea,
She will not rehome him, he is her baby, but, idealistically he cannot stay as an indoor bun,
We have a spare hutch inside a shed, but it is a metal shed, so holds the heat for slightly longer in the eve, but stays cooler for longer in the mornings, but it would keep him out the elements (they are all covered outside aswell)

Any ideas?

We have an oil heater we can put in the shed on a timer to keep the temp up in there until he adapts, but then I would be worrying about the other buns aswell.

Help pleaseee

Sorry, I can't say. I'm up in Scotland and it's really cold at nights now.

Not much help, I know :lol:

We are indenting to put ours out tomorrow and it is slightly colder here (Northampton). They will be living in a wooden summerhouse, it does have some insulation in the walls but it will get down to the temperature outside. I have made them a wooden box that will be backed with hay, I just hope they use it. I don't think I will be able to resist going to check on them in the middle of the night though.

The only thing that would concern me with your bun is Mini-Lop so its heat retention capacity is not that good, if it was a German lop or a Giant they would be fine.

The temp is not meant to drop much below 10 degrees over the next week so I think this would be the best time to get him out. If you give him hay and he is in a cage that is protected from the elements he should be OK. Do you know when you will get him?

I would say it's not too late to put an indoor bun outside just yet. We've had a few colder nights but nothing bad. As long as you do it within the next week or so then I can't see a problem.

Why don't you give the vets a call they may be able to tell you or the rabbit welfare people. Not sure when rabbits start getting their winter coats.

I think it's just about OK now, but it's getting close. Its the first day of autumn tomorrow so I'm expecting it to get cold :wave:

I think it's just about OK now, but it's getting close. Its the first day of autumn tomorrow so I'm expecting it to get cold :wave:

not meaning to be a smart :censored: but i swear that its the first day today? :? :lol:

Regarding the original question, I wouldn't leave it any longer than next Sunday in my opinion so as long as it's done relatively quickly i think you'd be fine :D

We've just started lighting our coal fire on and off as we're having some cold days. I guess if you did it right now and put some warming things in at night (ie snugglesafes) and keep a good eye on him it might be ok.

I would think it would be ok as it's only just starting to get a bit colder this week, and you're much further South than me! Plenty of bedding and a snugglesafe just in case I think!

A lot of my buns are getting their winter coats now so bunny should be ok. Not sure about the oil heater though, the smell/fumes might upset him.

Hi,

I am guessing that she does not mean an oil fired heater, I think it is an electric one that uses oil as the heat transfer medium. :D

Poor buns if it was an oil fired heater....

No, not an oil fired heater,
Its basically a radiator but oil filled, holds the heat for longer

They live minutes away, so bun could come here in an instance, just don't want to do it if its too cold, he has stayed outside before and often comes round for a run,

Ill let her know what you all think and go from there, I know out of all the worries they have, this is the biggest worry at the moment.

Thanks for all your advice

Back