• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question re: rescues

Hiya

I got my male rabbit from a well-respected rescue approx 1 1/2 years ago. I was told he was a neutered male rabbit who was approx 2 years old, and although there was a little bit of initial scrapping, he has got on fine with my female neutered rabbit.

My female neutered rabbit had to have a dental op this week and I asked them to sex the male as I had an inkling he was female as he'd grown and developed a dewlap. He's quite a big bunny that doesn't like being handled so I had never been able to try to sex him myself.

The vet sexed the rabbit and said he was a girl.

What I'm now feeling disappointed and worried about is that when I rescued him, I did first and foremost to rescue a rabbit and provide my rabbit with a partner after her other partner died. However, I also paid a fee that guaranted that the rabbit had been neutered etc.

Now I'm in a position where I have an un-neutered female rabbit who very luckily gets on with my neutered female, it could have been a different story. I have just paid out £200 for the dental op (second in 1 year) and cannot afford to have the other rabbit spayed which is leaving her at risk of uterine cancer. Additionally, she appears to be a lot younger than what I was told and I'm worried she's going to continue to grow and become to big for their hutch set up (which by all means is huge and meets RWA standards).

I know that rescue's cannot guarantee age, but i'm disappointed that the rabbit was sexed wrong and that i've paid an adoption fee for a rabbit of the wrong sex who has not been spayed and is now at risk of cancer/hormones raising and risking a break in the bond etc.

I don't want to get rid of her - she's my baby as far as i'm concerned - but what I'm wondering is whether other people would go back to the rescue and ask for some support towards having her spayed and also what rescue's would expect to happen in this situation.

Many thanks

Last edited:
I would absolutely ask the rescue to spay her. That's quite shocking! It would help if you still had the original adoptions forms, but they should remember her/you.

Have you spoken to the Rescue concerned ? I would do that in the first instance.

Paper work re the adoption would be essential if you are looking at obtaining financial assistance for the Spay. After 1.5 years the Rescue could deny all knowledge of the Rabbit or of you. Not saying that this WILL happen, but if the Rescue has already fallen short of expected standards I would not assume that they would automatically admit the error.

Back