• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water

:wave: I have two house rabbits who roam the whole of our house - we got them in Feb this year and ever since they have drank from a water bottle which is strapped to a table leg :lol: but recently i've put down water in a ceramic bowl (near to the hay to try and encourage them) but I haven't seen them drinking from it, I change it every morning and evening. I don't want to take away the water bottle or should I? Has anybody else done this? Any advice would be great please :) x

:wave: I have two house rabbits who roam the whole of our house - we got them in Feb this year and ever since they have drank from a water bottle which is strapped to a table leg :lol: but recently i've put down water in a ceramic bowl (near to the hay to try and encourage them) but I haven't seen them drinking from it, I change it every morning and evening. I don't want to take away the water bottle or should I? Has anybody else done this? Any advice would be great please :) x

I added a little bit of fruit juice to encourage Oli to drink from his water bowl, once he knew what it was for he was fine xx

I wouldn't add fruit juice - just leave them the option of drinking from the bottle or dish (or did you want to get rid of the bottle?). Mine much prefer bowl of water.

it doesn't really bother me to get rid of the bottle but I've heard that alot of rabbits prefer drinking from a bowl and wondered what I could do to encourage them :)

You could pop a peppermint tea bag in the water for a while and infuse it with that, might make it more palatable and then once they know it's there they may be more likely to use it.

Mine have both too... It seems to depend on their mood whether they go for bowl or bottle.

Big occasionally uses it as a foot bath and Little sticks her face in it resulting in a sneeze fest :lol:

Back