• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worrying I've taken on too much.

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
Although my MH has come on in leaps and bounds I'm really worrying about the bunnies and guineas when I go back to work. In the past I've been able to manage completely fine but in the past 6/7 months I've really been struggling to look after them.

I've gone down to reduced pay at work so don't really have the money to feed them and enjoy life. All my money is going on hay, megazorb, pellets, veg etc. I am then forced to stay inside of an evening/weekend. This is then starting to bring my MH down and as a result I'm almost starting to resent them somewhat. :oops:

I had a long talk with my pysch and explained that at the moment it doesn't really feel like there is any pros of having them as I'm not enjoying looking after them. She suggested possibly rehoming them. In part I agree with her. When I go back to work I think I'm just going to be so overwhelmed knowing that I have to come home, sort out the animals, eat and then back to bed as I have to take my medication at 8 if there's any chance of me getting up in the morning. Changing my medication so I get more of an evening is not an option, as it is working wonderfully for me bar the sedating properties.

The thought of rehoming them though really makes me feel awful and as if I've failed, it also fills me with guilt. In the same breath though I don't know whether I'm really giving them everything they need attention wise.

I don't even know if I'd be able to rehome them as there's two trios and a five strong guinea heard.

I just don't know what to do, it feels like a lose/lose situation either way. :(

So sorry you feel this way, but no matter what anyone else says your health and mental well being comes first!
your not letting them down at all by rehoming them.
(huge hug too you)

I hope your feeling better soon.
as for the guinea pigs get intouch with the Potteries guineapig rescue she takes on bigger groups occasionally xxx

I do feel for you and like snow white says you must put your health first. How about rehoming some of your pets just to take the strain off and see how you cope with less of them. x

agree with the last post, 6 rabbits and 5 guinea pigs is an awful lot. having a lcak of energy and a lack of finance is a really tough combo.
If it was just finance you could shop around for reduced herbs/veg and increase free forage, but that obviously takes more time/resource

you are absolutely not failing your furries by rehoming, you are being brave enough to do what is right for them to ensure they get the best love and care.

That is real love and good reponsible pet keeping.

I would also not want to go from all those pets to none, so would look into rehoming/reducing the numbers gradually until you find the right balance.

Hope you have some family and friends who can support you in what sounds like a time of need. You shouldn't be ashamed to rely on others in the slightest as you are the type of caring person who took on all those pets and sacrafice in the first place :love:

hugs & hope you're feeling better soon

I totally agree with the other posts - you need to concentrate on yourself for the time being I think. This constant worry about money etc is not going to help - especially if you start resenting the animals, and then feeling guilty about that - just ends up in a never ending circle doesn't it?

Re-homing them is good for all of you! And you are fulfilling your duties as a responsible pet owner.

Good luck - and hope things improve for you soon.

If I were you I would wait until you've had a couple of weeks at work to see how you cope. That will give you a better idea of how much you'll be able to manage and help you decide which (if any) animals you're able to keep, and how many would benefit from being in a new home.

What about Toby?

Toby is the family pet, my parents buy his food and we all share the dog walking duties. To be honest though the dog walking is doing me good as it's getting me out and about. When I go back to work full time my dad is at the house all day so he won't be alone. The rabbits and guineas, on the other hand, are very much my animals. My parents have been helping me with them but their patience is wearing thin and they have mentioned maybe I need to look at the situation.

They have and will help me out with food/bedding but I also should point out that I owe them 4k which I racked up on credit cards in a few months before I was admitted. So although the odd bag of food here and there is manageable I also can't take the :censored: too much.

I've been thinking the past few hours or so on how I can reduce all the bills. There's a new Aldi just opened 5 minute walk from my house so that should hopefully help a lot, as previously I was shopping at sainsbury's for their veg.

I want to stress I am not going to be whacking them on preloved tomorrow. This morning I was having a major wobble and doubting a lot but I'm feeling a bit different at the moment and seeing things in a more positive light. :thumb:

From what you say, and as long as it is a decision you have though over for some time, then it probably is best to look at rehoming some / all.

Is the number of animals that is causing the concern or simply the responsibility of any of them. Would reducing help rather than rehoming them all.

If you are going back to work soon it might be worth thinking about looking are find potential homes now as could the stress of rehoming and work at the same time make things worse?

I do hope you find a solution that works out for all of you.

Hugs
Rachel

Ahh okay, so Toby won't be a problem then that's good.

Your bunnies and piggies all live with friends outside don't they? So I don't think spending time with them as that important as they have each other. As long as they get fed every day, and get cleaned out once a week, then I think that's the minimum that needs doing, and that's fine if you can manage that? Or are you really struggling to do that?

Where do you buy all your bits for them at the moment (other than veg which you've just mentioned)? Maybe we can find cheaper suppliers, or buying in bulk more (although you probably already are with so many).

Why do you need to stay in in the evenings/weekends? Maybe you can think of cheap/free things to do, like going to friends houses, or inviting them round, or even just taking Toby out for a bit on your own or with friends.

Back