• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice and vibes for myxi boy

Just come back from the vet with both of my rabbits, Einstein and Maize. Einstein was seen about a week ago with slightly swollen/oozing eyelid. He has been treated with baytril since and it has cleared up completely. Then I noticed strange scabs on his shoulder and neck areas and a large circular scab on his ear. Immediate thought he was fighting with Maize but that just didn't feel the "right" answer. So headed off to vet tonight and he's said likely to be nodular myxi! I'm gutted but hear that it can be successfully over come. Can anyone give me any advice, thoughts? Is it contagious? He's still on Baytril but no ther meds. He's vaccinated against myxi. Also Maize has started with respiratory problems, wheezing breathing and milky discharge from her eyes. I thought snuffles before I'd found out about the myxi and my vet agreed. He's prescribed Baytril for a week and if that doesn't clear it up then he mentioned penicillin type antibiotics but pointed out the potential issues with those. Does anyone have any thoughts? I can't help but think there must be a link between both rabbits symptoms. Can't be coincidence that 2 perfectly well rabbits get ill together with completely different illnesses. Both are eating and pooing as normal and are as happy as normal. Maize is also vaccinated.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Just come back from the vet with both of my rabbits, Einstein and Maize. Einstein was seen about a week ago with slightly swollen/oozing eyelid. He has been treated with baytril since and it has cleared up completely. Then I noticed strange scabs on his shoulder and neck areas and a large circular scab on his ear. Immediate thought he was fighting with Maize but that just didn't feel the "right" answer. So headed off to vet tonight and he's said likely to be nodular myxi! I'm gutted but hear that it can be successfully over come. Can anyone give me any advice, thoughts? Is it contagious? He's still on Baytril but no ther meds. He's vaccinated against myxi. Also Maize has started with respiratory problems, wheezing breathing and milky discharge from her eyes. I thought snuffles before I'd found out about the myxi and my vet agreed. He's prescribed Baytril for a week and if that doesn't clear it up then he mentioned penicillin type antibiotics but pointed out the potential issues with those. Does anyone have any thoughts? I can't help but think there must be a link between both rabbits symptoms. Can't be coincidence that 2 perfectly well rabbits get ill together with completely different illnesses. Both are eating and pooing as normal and are as happy as normal. Maize is also vaccinated.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Hi there. I am sorry to hear this news. I have no personal experience but one of the members on here Twigs (username parsnipbun) has very extensive experience on nursing a bunny that has contracted Myxo. That will certainly give you some ideas on the way forward.

Or PM her, I'm sure she won't mind sharing her experience with you.

Hoping for a successful treatment

Hi, I am not too far from you in Ormskirk and one of my buns has caught myxi. She is vaccinated. A few people have pm'd me saying that she should be ok and that the lesions should scab over and fall off after a few weeks. Millie started with a bad eye which we thought was trauma related then the lumps came over her eye and on the back of her neck. She is still lively and eating well.
My Vet has her on Ronaxan for the eye and also Marbosyl to treat and secondary infection such as from the scabs or pneumonia. Also keep them on probiotic powders as the antiobiotics kill the good bacteria as well as the bad. I dont add them to the drinking water as a lot gets wasted, I mix some with a bit of water and syringe it to them.
I wonder if your buns should be on a stronger antibiotic.
There are pictures of Millie on my vets facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Village-Vets-Centre-Ltd/133046133461379

Good luck and if you need any help just pm me. Preston is only half an hour away x

Hi there

Both of my vaccinated rabbits also have myxi. I am in Lancaster area, and have previously had two vaccinated rabbits who survived it, and one unvaccinated rabbit who didn't, so I'm hopeful. The vaccinated rabbits that previously survived were on injectable Baytril for about two weeks, then on oral for a few days due to concerns about making their necks like pin cushions. One of them had bad eyes and nodules, the other got a very bad respiratory infection, reaching a point where he had he head out and mouth open to breathe. I gave them both echinacea drops on a piece of hob nob biscuit. They both had very badly affected eyes, with the lower lids becoming really crinkly and coming away from the eye, and I used fucithalmic. During the third week they both started getting better, I remember being amazed at how suddenly the symptoms abated! The boy who had the respiratory problems moved to Lancashire with us, although he had problems with pasteurella in later years in one of his eyes. He was finally PTS at the age of 8 when his back legs went. Not bad for a bunny who had originally been bred for a laboratory, and survived myxi.

The two bunnies I have now started with myxi about a fortnight ago - the girl has got nodules and weepy inflamed eyes, but the boy has respiratory problems, and much more of a 'myxi' look about him. In the last few days they have been eating less and I guess are at the worst stage. They are both on oral Baytril/fucithalmic. It's interesting to know that other vets use different drugs. They are both rescues who don't much like being handled, and it's hard work just getting the Baytril down them. I think this weekend will be a turning point, I don't know which way it will go but have to remain hopeful.

I hope Einstein and Maize are ok. Please feel free to PM me if you need to know anything about the course of the virus with my bunnies.

Best wishes

Hi.
Thanks everyone for your advice and vibes. My fears have been realized and no it's not snuffles with Maize but myxi as well. I went out to her this morning to give her the meds and she has weepy eyes, still wheezy and scabs on her ears. Back to the vet I think today to ask about the info that you have all posted on here for meds, care etc. My girl looks very sorry for herself but both are eating well.
Please keep sending vibes.x

Back