• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Shed set up

AlicePalace

New Kit
Ive always wanted my two rabbits to be housed in a Shed and ive recently saved up enough to do it :D
I've had a look at some of the shed set ups on here and there awesome! cant wait to get my rabbits in there new home.
I was just wondering if anyone has some sort of heating system in theres?
obviously i dont want it to hot in there as my buns have a winter coat plus they are rabbits. But i thought its a pretty big shed so is it worth getting a heating system just to keep it above freezing?
Any opinions would be awesome :)

Your rabbits will love living in a shed and it all depends on where you live as to whether you need heating. Rabbits don't usually feel the cold too much and are ok down to -5 as long as they have plenty of hay etc. If they are still going to be out in their run during the day perhaps it's best not to have heating. You could see how it goes and if you feel they are too cold then invest in some heating. What breed of rabbits do you have?

I live in the south of england just along the coast, Yeah thats a good idea, i might leave it a while plus the fact its not winter yet.
There still going to have access to the garden during the day,
there both lionheads :)

I have two bunnies in a 6ft x 4ft shed, and also am in the south (about 30 mins from coast) and we don't have heating in their shed, just plenty of fleece blankets, hay and straw.... and snugglesafe heat pad each http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/thermal_heated_blankets/59060?gclid=CM7e7PbFxLICFVMbtAod71sAwQ

We have an internal mesh door on the shed door, so they get plenty of light and air thru the day (the main door is locked at night) - we put a perspex sheet over 3/4 of the mesh door in winter - keeps the rain / snow our, but they still get light and air in... it also helps to keep them a bit warmer thru the day.

I dont have any heaters or anything cos 1. i dont trust them with wires 2. i would worry about the hay / straw catching fire and 3. id worry about electric faults and the shed going on fire (im a worrier and think the risk is higher having heaters than not having heaters)

They were fine last year, they're hardier than we give them credit for - but its important to let them get a good winter coat :)

Last edited:
Thats a very good point,
Now that you've mentioned what you would worry about, i think i would do the same :lol:

Where did you get the mesh from/what sort of mesh have you got for the door?

We're getting a shed and I'm going to buy a tubular greenhouse heater and mount it on the wall high up. The wires will go through into the garage and plug in there. We would only use it if the weather was really bad (like 2 winters ago when it was -10 in the day and -20 at night). The problem with waiting is if we get a cold snap everywhere suddenly sells out.
Something like this
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tubular-Gar...K4/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1348167516&sr=8-15

Yeah i was looking into those heaters as they are low wattage and the zoo i did work ex at had them installed,
I may just get one, fit it all in and if the weather did get very cold or we were expecting cold weather then i could turn it on?

That's what we were planning to do. Fit it, put the cord through to the garage where there's a plug and if we need it plug it in on a timer so it goes on and off and is on at night if it's really cold. I don't think they're capable of getting really hot but the reviews on amazon say they will keep a shed at around freezing in the really cold weather which would be fine. You can also buy a mesh guard to fit over the top. It was sooooo cold two winters ago (before we got the buns) we had no water on Xmas eve because the mains supply had frozen. I think in an insulated shed with that heater they'd be fine in those temperatures.

Yeah i was just looking into thermastats that you plug the heater into, so you can keep a consant temp :)
Yeah i have the beach right behind my house and it gets pretty damn cold in the winter and we keep getting a lot of snow, i think having a back up heat source might give me some peice of mind.
Im a bit of a worrier though, i just dont wanna worry about the shed catching on fire or something :lol:

The only thing with the thermostat is I'm not sure if that goes directly into the plug socket, which in our case would be in the garage and not the shed. I think they are safe in terms of fire risk, there's probably more risk in the plug than the heater itself and our plug would be in the garage. I will buy a branded one though, not just a cheapo one and use the timer so it isn't on constantly.

Back