• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wildie bun with full blown myxo in our staff car park.. :(

Kittykat23uk

Mama Doe
I just popped out for lunch and there is a young wild bun with full blown myxi (both eyes swolen shut) that was sat in front of our car park barrier in the middle of the road. It is so ill that I was able to pick it up and move it to some bushes. I don't think it will survive for long in it's current condition. Not sure what to do, whether I should let nature take it's course or if it's still there when I leave off work take it to a vet to be PTS. what would you do? :(

I'd definitly take it to the vets to PTS as soon as I could - in fact I'd just tell my boss that I was going now and would be back sometime this afternoon (but my boss is a wimp and would just say 'oh - okay'). Oh the poor thing - hope nature takes it course quickly.:(

I'd take it to the vet too.

ETA: Theres been two bunnies on our way home for months now, they were tiny babies to start off with (one has a white spot on his head :love: ) but last week they were only there one day, and I've not seen them this week, I'm really worried for them :(

Always a difficult situation :cry: Transporting it to a vets is traumatic for it, leaving it to die a painful death is traumatic for it. I think on balance if you 'are' able to pick bunny up then I would take to the nearest vet to be humanely euthanased which I believe they are obliged to do. However, you will need to be very careful if you have your own rabbits and would probably want to run some flea powder around your car and clothes and wash them afterwards as well as good hand hygiene. Good luck, not an enviable position to be in :cry:

unfortunately i don't have transport to be able to do that as OH gives me a lift in to work.

Leaving it until the end of work isn't going to make a huge amount of difference really. Just take it when you can if you can still find bun. Or, you could always collect bun now and pop him in a cardboard box with an old towel or some newspaper (find something at work?) and put him somewhere quiet and dark and cool until you are ready to pop him to the vet.

,maybe if you could find him and pop him in a cardboard box and if your boss will allow put him somewhere quiet in building then phone rspca and see if one of their inspectors would come out and put him to sleep? they are I think all trained to do basic euthanasia and it would fall under their remit of dealing with suffering.
I'd be very wary of putting him in car- the fleas jumping off will be carrying myxi

I doubt RSPCA would view it as a priority to come out and euthanase a wild rabbit. At this time of year there must be thousands in the same condition.

Poor bunny, it's hard to know what to do for the best isn't it, when you can't get him to the vet straight away. If you can, I think I would find a box to keep him in & take him to the vet after you finish work. (Unless you have a work colleague who'd be willing to drive you there, although I do understand that not everybody would be keen to do so.)

My daughter found a wildie a few ayds ago with myxi at the weekend. We took him to the local wildlife hospital where they ended his suffering but it was awful to see him and just for us to be able to get close enough to pick him up was a sign that things weren't good. :(:(

well spoke to our building manager in the hope hat someone could take it o the vet to be PTS and they are just inclined to leave nature to take its course.. :(

Oh the poor bun, I cant bear the thought of it suffering like that :cry:
Is there a wildlife sanctuary near you? If so perhaps phone them and explain the situation, they might beable to send someone out to put the poor thing out of its misery :(

I'm so sorry. :( It's not an uncommon reaction sadly & some of my neighbours thought I was daft for driving the bunny to the wildlife hospital on a Saturday night when I could have been watching the TV.

I don't know how long it would take for a rabbit that's got to this stage of infection to pass away but, if you can find somewhere safe to leave him/her for now then I would go to the vet when you finish work. It's very sad and you must feel so helpless but you're doing all you can at the moment. x

I think it's safe enough where it is and it doesn't seem to inclined to move so might be best off leaving it there for now. There don't seem to be any dedicated wildlife hospitals in Norwich. The nearest RSPCA centre is at East Winch or Martlesham. To be honest I think PTS is the only humane thing that can be done for it at this stage. We see a lot of myxi buns around at this time of year but it is still heart-wrenching to know that this little one is right there and could at least end it's suffering.

I think the main problem with the 'nature' and 'course' thing is that nature usually tries to feed the healthy species in nature with the less able so this rabbit may get pecked by corvids, played with by cats or eventually taken by a fox. None of these things are a particularly kind end for any animal. I would probably knock it on the head with a large rock, car jack or similar and make absolutely sure it is dead before leaving it in a hedgerow for nature to take its course.

Or I'd take it to a vet and afterwards, when I got home, undress outside (I can do that, we're isolated!) and fumigate all clothes.

Well after saying that they weren't going to do anything, it looks like our building management staff have just coaxed it into a box. Not sure what they are going to do with it now, but hope they will put it out of it's misery one way or the other..:? ETA: They've just moved it away from the car park to the back of the block where there is grass etc.

Last edited:
Well at least it is a 'safe' place now - and poor you as well, horrible thing to have to deal with...have you been able to do any work this afternoon?

I've been in and out of meetings so thankfully that has occupied my time. I can't see where they released it, the area round the back of the office is sort of a wildlife area so it could be anywhere by now. A colleague has just asked me if I wrung it's neck. :roll: I hope it passes peacefully. I just feel like :cry::cry::cry::cry: Think I'm going to go and cuddle my buns a lot when I get home.

Back