• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Domino is poorly, potentially with E.C?

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
I am sorry I havent posted much recently, but I need your guys advice. Some of you wont know me at all, but lots of you will - and Domino.

He was 100% fine yesterday. But this morning Mum went to feed him and he was sat quivvering, his head going from side to side. Not scanning, almost like he was having a seizure. His eyes were darting everywhere and he couldnt raise his head. It doesnt look dissimiliar to head tilt - except his head ISNT actually tilted round, its so hard to explain. Its just darting side to side very quickly and he cannot control it.

He isnt walking, because he is just stuck doing that movement with his head. He was rushed to the vet and they suspect E.C, which I dont dispute but something doesnt seem right because he is SO bad so sudden. I am assuming they will run tests but I am waiting for a phone call from my vet to ask a few questions as I was just a mess when I took him in this morning.

The girls seem 100% fine.

Poor Domino

EC can present as sudden onset neurological symptoms, but so can bacterial middle ear infections, brain infections, brain bleeds etc

I suspect your Vet will cover all bases and treat for both EC and infection- so Fenbendazole, an antibiotic and either a corticosteroid injection (most likely in this case) or a NSAID (Metacam)

He will probably also need supportive nursing care (syringe feeds, SQ fluids) and possibly gut motility meds in the acute stage.

I do hope he will respond quickly to treatment.

Aww hun.

My Amber has suspected EC a couple of months ago. I too couldn't belive how quick it came on. You have certainly caught it quickly though.

Lots of vibes and thoughts for Domino x

Poor Domino. Could the eye darting be nystagmus? Maybe he's dizzy but without the tilt. Whatever it is I hope treatment works for him.

I am worried hes had a stroke or something, I am trying so hard not to get upset but I just got so complacent, I have been very lucky in reality ever since Peanut Butter died, they have all been healthy with the exception of a dental here and there, this has taken me by such shock.

I just hope he gets better, I will be devastated if something happens to him.

I just went to see him and he saw me and tried to come over and just fell over, and his head was all floppy but he managed to lay down and keep his head UPRIGHT pretty much, once I had given him lots of noserubs and he still headbutted me for me even if his head went sideways while he did it.

He even tried to wash himself. Hes still in there, and he is fighting. I have filmed it on my phone which isnt nice but i think it could potentially help us further down the line to see progress, i dont know, maybe its daft but it makes me feel like im doing something.

So sorry to hear about Domino - there seems to be a real spate of EC at the moment.
I've just had it with Truffle, though not so badly by the sounds of it.

Sending vibes for Domino - hope the vet is able to confirm either way for you, and that he improves soon.
x

Bless him, so glad to hear that he is stable and even managed to sit and enjoy a head rub from his mum :D

I think filming him is a really good idea, it is so hard sometimes to see subtle progress, it's only when you can look back that you realise how different things are. I reckon that will be really helpful and hopefully encouraging.

Everything crossed for your precious little man - how are the girls doing without him to keep the peace?

Bless him, so glad to hear that he is stable and even managed to sit and enjoy a head rub from his mum :D

I think filming him is a really good idea, it is so hard sometimes to see subtle progress, it's only when you can look back that you realise how different things are. I reckon that will be really helpful and hopefully encouraging.

Everything crossed for your precious little man - how are the girls doing without him to keep the peace?

Suprisingly they are as thick as thieves, snuggled together and Jelly didnt chase her at food time, they are really close which is good, i dont need them falling out on top of everything. Started their panacur last night and both took it very easily, they so mellow out with age!! :lol:

Domino has improved slightly this morning, which even though he is still so bad - any improvement is good so i am very pleased. He may be able to come home tomorrow, because i can give him what he needs at home and it will be less stressful for him. She had heard how chilled he was when i saw him yesterday so she thinks he will cope better here.

I personally feel he needs to be indoors, all snuggly. Mum agrees which I was shocked about :lol: So going to make him a soft bedding area with rolled up towels/fleece blankets as his support for his head etc. Might even let him have Bonnies tiny dog basket, it will be so comfy for him - and hes hardly going to chew it.

Its going to be a long process but he is trying so hard.

Hi,

I've been through this recently with Fifi, and I wanted to say that pics and vids are indeed an excellent way of checking progress. We were scared out of our minds when Fifi suddenly developed nystagmus, rolling and headtilt, it can be very upsetting for all involved. Fifi was hospitalised for 5 days and then there was a lengthy period of intensive nursing - but it was totally worth it. She is essentially 100% back to normal now. She had a severe inner ear infection and she had a positive EC blood result (though apparently this doesn't always mean anything - or so I learnt at the RWAF conference!)

Hang in there! It sounds like Domino has got a lot of fight in him and the support of another bunny can be invaluable.

We brought Fifi indoors too - partly for comforts sake but it also was easier to keep an eye on her throughout the day & night.

Loads of vibes, lets us know how he goes :) xxx

Well thats what she said too, she said shes not testing him because essentially a positive result doesnt mean he HAS E.C, and whats important is treatment, it could be an ear infection that caused it, we just dont know. My girls are 100% fine, even though they are being panacured anyway.

He is very very wobbly so I wouldn't have him outside, he would hurt himself. I am going to make him a snuggly cage with soft blankets and rolled towels for his head. I will speak to the vet and see if it really is best for him to come home tomorrow, we have to move the convservatory round to make room for him and i want to make it perfect rather than rush and make do, so i may ask him to stay an extra day.

It sounds daft because normally i want them home asap, but for me now...its like I cant bear to have him home until I am sure its best for him, he is just so poorly and if I bring him home I will be so full of hope, it will so much harder to lose him. I love this little guy so so much, if I lose him it will crush me.

Well...tonight wasn't so good. I went to see him and i was shocked, okay he wasnt as stumbly but he was so still, and he looked so so miserable. I looked on his chart and he had been offered no pain meds at all, and he didnt register that i was even there, he just stared right through me, and i when i touched him i scared him...like he was blind. I asked to see the vet and they were too busy, so she phoned me once id left.

She was SO rude. I said I was concerned that he hadnt been offered pain medication, and she said "its because hes not in pain" and i was like, well he is because hes grinding his teeth. and she said "they grind their teeth at alot of things" .

And then she said they cant give pain relief in case his kidneys are failing, and i was like well if they are damaged we will know soon enough anyway and its irreversible so id rather give him the pain meds and see how it goes. And she went "You have to stop expecting miracles and be prepared for a lot of nursing, you do know that dont you"

And then I said "Yes of course I do Im just concerned that he is in pain and I feel like he cant see because he didnt notice me and his eyes look so vacant" and she just went "No he can see"....and that was it, She then said "If you dont like it you are welcome to come and get him and take him elsewhere".

I will be bringing metacam home, but I would really like your opinions on this, it feels wrong going against her advice but I really think he needs it, on a pain basis and an anti inflammatory basis.

Well...tonight wasn't so good. I went to see him and i was shocked, okay he wasnt as stumbly but he was so still, and he looked so so miserable. I looked on his chart and he had been offered no pain meds at all, and he didnt register that i was even there, he just stared right through me, and i when i touched him i scared him...like he was blind. I asked to see the vet and they were too busy, so she phoned me once id left.

She was SO rude. I said I was concerned that he hadnt been offered pain medication, and she said "its because hes not in pain" and i was like, well he is because hes grinding his teeth. and she said "they grind their teeth at alot of things" .

And then she said they cant give pain relief in case his kidneys are failing, and i was like well if they are damaged we will know soon enough anyway and its irreversible so id rather give him the pain meds and see how it goes. And she went "You have to stop expecting miracles and be prepared for a lot of nursing, you do know that dont you"

And then I said "Yes of course I do Im just concerned that he is in pain and I feel like he cant see because he didnt notice me and his eyes look so vacant" and she just went "No he can see"....and that was it, She then said "If you dont like it you are welcome to come and get him and take him elsewhere".

I will be bringing metacam home, but I would really like your opinions on this, it feels wrong going against her advice but I really think he needs it, on a pain basis and an anti inflammatory basis.

Has he had a corticosteroid ? If so that will be long lasting (several days) so that would be why Metacam is not being given ? NSAIDs (Metacam etc) cannot be given at the same time as corticosteroids.

Sending more vibes for Domino xx

ETA- Just thought, if he is very immobile now it may be because he feels very dizzy and nauseous. You could ask the Vet if giving something like Stemetil (Procloperazine) or Meclizine may be helpful for this. If you get a snotty response of 'but Rabbits cant be sick' you can offer a cordial (!!) explanation that you are aware of that but that it could still be possible for him to *feel* sick.

'For the treatment of vestibular signs

Meclizine
2 - 12 mg/kg orally every 24 hours may reduce the clinical signs, control nausea, and provide mild sedation.'

Taken from this reference http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

Then the specific dose info:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meclizine.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Procloperazine.htm

Last edited:
All hes had is panacur and baytril, and something for his eyes. He hasnt had anything else. I was always happy with my vets but I dont feel happy now, they are seeing me at 12 so we can talk about Domino and I can explain why I am not happy.

Last edited:
Back