• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering advice

Peterbunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

I am looking to get my 5mth old bunny, Peter, neutered and would like to do it sooner rather than later.

Can anyone give me any idea on the recovery time needed? I am asking as we ae going away for a few days at the end of Oct and are leaving him with a bunny boarding hotel and I am wondering if we were to get him neutered within the next couple of weeks (If I can get him booked in!) would he be recovered intime for being left? I wouldnt want to leave him somewhere if he isn't recovered properly?

Thanks

well charlie was eating and pooing by morning and id say his healed pretty quick. i think it would be plenty of time if you got him done now. as i said, boys generally recover very quickly :)

My boys were fine straight after. The girls were more difficult.. but spaying is much more invasive.

With a competent vet neutering is safe and simple :thumb:

It can depend on the rabbit. Boys can be recovered within 12 hours of coming home or not :?

As a rule of thumb my vets do post op checks 3 days after the op and 10 days after.

I had my two done last week-

Loki was back to acting normally the next morning and declared "fully recovered" by the vet 4 days after. (tho he still has to go in on Monday to have his stitches out)

Thor however dislodged one of his sutures under the skin and his little scrotum swelled up to look like a very big purple grape. Which showed signs of being infected though a course of baytril fixed that. Even with his neuter being a nightmare (which is VERY unusual) it is now 9 days since his op and he is his normal bonkers self and his scrotum is now a healthy colour and fast shrinking. I expect him to reach "fully recovered" status by our vet appointment on Monday. At which point that will be 13 days after the op.

In my opinion a month is a lot of time to allow for recovery as I said my nightmare bun only needed 2 weeks to fully recover! (I hope)!!!

I'd get it done before you go personally. Vets should be able to fit you in fairly soon. Mine did anyway!

Oh dear, don't let him see this thread! :lol:

:lol: I did think he was such a lucky boy! I think its the right thing to do though, I'm sure he would love a lady friend ;) and also I believe its better for them healthwise as well?

If we were to get Peter a wife lol would she need to be spayed? Also am I right in thinking that there needs to be a gap between peter being neutered and bonding him with a lady? Obviously we wouldnt do anything till our holiday anyway (so would be 4 weeks post op)

:lol: I did think he was such a lucky boy! I think its the right thing to do though, I'm sure he would love a lady friend ;) and also I believe its better for them healthwise as well?

If we were to get Peter a wife lol would she need to be spayed? Also am I right in thinking that there needs to be a gap between peter being neutered and bonding him with a lady? Obviously we wouldnt do anything till our holiday anyway (so would be 4 weeks post op)

My little boy got the chop and was not very happy with me :lol: Yes, I believe it's actually more important for girlies to be spayed as they can get cancer of the uterus and things like that :( But if you adopted one from a rescue, then they would most likely have already been done :) So saves you the worry of looking after them after the op. Yes there does need to be a gap after neutering before putting with a friend, not sure what the recommended wait time is though.

Back