• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a hutch.

Katie1504

Young Bun
Hello all,

This might be in the wrong section but has anyone built their own hutch? Where do you start etc etc? I want to have a go.

I have made a few and here are some photos from the first one.

Back

2011-10-03%252016.54.06.jpg

With sides and floor

2011-10-04%252016.26.25.jpg

Front frame and solid doors

2011-10-06%252021.18.54.jpg

Finished. Roof is OSB covered with felt.

2011-10-08%252014.41.38.jpg

It is extremely satisfying, go for it!

My brother built a 3 tier hutch which is over 7ft high (I can just about get the cover on/off the top and im 5'8 having to use a chair :lol: and over 9ft long,
We used shuttering board for the 'skeleton' with batons to strengthen, then covered with 5mm ply inside, and roofing felt on the whole exterior so it is completely weather proof, adding tiles to the floors and painting the rest,
Much Much bigger than anything you can buy and worked out much cheaper as hubby can get materials cheaper through work

not meaning to high jack but what wood is best to use?

It depends on where they hutch is to go (eg inside an outbuilding/outside); your level of skill and equipment available etc. The size of the hutch may also have a bearing on the materials.

I made one a couple of years ago using planed softwood for the frame and plywood for the walls/floor/door. I fancy having a go at making a deluxe one with loglap (basically T&G but logs). I wouldn't have had the skill to do it with the first one but now I've done that one I could do a more elaborate one.

Hello all,

This might be in the wrong section but has anyone built their own hutch? Where do you start etc etc? I want to have a go.

I started by looking at the hutches I'd made and thinking of what I liked and what I would do differently.

I made a 5ft x 3ft hutch with thick plywood and it is very, very solid, I'm really pleased with it but the only downside is that I made it in a way that it can't easily be dismantled and it is really heavy! I will be able to shove it a few feet in either direction but I will never be able to carry it to another part of the garden.

Here's some pictures of early progress on it.

PICT3584.jpg

PICT3586.jpg

PICT3585.jpg

Last edited:
Agree about the weight,
My brother built ours facing the way the sun comes up, but also the way the wind blows in the winter, so we had to turn it around, oh my, it weighs a tonne, we wont be moving house, so not so much of an issue.

hubbie made the shell and put the house insulation in and then just built the cage up,the top 2 levels are for the piggies,the bottom 2 are for the bunnies and it also connects to another cage

100_1190.jpg

100_1224.jpg

100_1229.jpg

100_1233.jpg

this is the top level for the piggies

100_1244.jpg

this is the bottom level of the bunnies,the first hole is there hidey hole,the second hole,there is a tunnel that connects to the second hutch

100_1236.jpg

100_1237.jpg

top level of the buns

100_1245.jpg

and the tube that connects it to the bottom level

100_1246.jpg

100_1323.jpg

100_1324.jpg

IMG-20120712-00070.jpg

You might not be able to replicate that last one but try to put a shelf in as all bunnies love them and it provides them with exercise on days when they are stuck in.

Back