• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving meds

dbowes

Warren Scout
Hi,

Jasper was diagnosed with a middle ear infection a week ago. The vet has sent a sample off to be cultured and im hoping to find out the results very soon. In the meantime he was perscribed some metacam and some antibioticss until the best antibiotics could be found. He has perked up and is eating ok but not quite his normal self.

Giving him in meds has been stressfull, he just wont accept it, we've tried various tactics i.e wrapping him in a towel but its proving very difficult. A solution we found was to mix the meds with some baby food. I found a fruit smoothie (strawberry and apple flavour) that seems to work really well.

My first question is, is there any disadvantage to giving him the meds in this way? I cant see why but unfortunately the tightening on one side of his face (casued by the ear infection) which was improving slowly has gone slightly back over. Is this an indication that the infection is "winning"?

Thanks

Dan

I often give my buns medicine hidden in food. My vet has said it was fine for me to do it this way.

Make sure the food is eaten straight away if it has metacam in it, as the metacam strength lessens once it has been in the light for over about 10 minutes. Sorry, that's not explained very well, but hope you get what I mean.

Yeah i get you, he has it straight away (he cant wait) but i was worried that dilluting it in some way wouldnt weaken its effect. I guess it all ends up in the same place anyway!

Anyone had experience with ear infections and the tightening of the facial muscles. I'm concerned that it going backwards is a sign that the infection is beating the anti-biotics. Anyone any experience of this? Can i expect his face to get better? I've read it can be permanent but we acted at the first sign and this his is first ear infection.

Dan

Sorry bunny isn't well. I think if you started another thread regarding his face you might get more replies. Sorry I have no experience.

Wishing bun a speedy recovery.

One of my buns is a stroppy little mandam and recently she had to have four different meds. I tried the 'bunny burrito' etc but that ended in tears (mine) and a meds bottle on the carpet. I ended up putting her in my smaller carrier on the table and, putting my hand on her back, quickly put the syringe in her mouth, she took all of them fine. My theory was she now thought she was doing ME a favour by taking it rather than me forcing her. It may not work for others but we had a great routine going this way :thumb:

Thanks guys,

I will start a new thread about his condition as I now have some more info from the vets.

Interesting idea about putting him in a carry case, would first of all stop him escaping. I've always managed it but think its a case of them giving up the fight. The problem is the twitching of the head.

My worry is that I'm on holiday next week and its not something I can cancel (wasn't cheap). Jasper has responded well to treatment so far and is eating fine so its now a case of continuing to give him the anti-biotics for the full 6 weeks and hoping that's the back of it! I have a friend house sitting who isn't used to dealing with rabbits but he is used to animals and is confident that he'll be good at it (which is the kind of attitude you need to have when syringing i think). I'm desperately trying different ideas so it is a bit easier for him when he takes over. Lapping up the meds mixed with baby food seems to be working so far but i want him to demonstrate he can syringe him too in case he gets wise to the spiking with baby food idea.

Back