• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at home on watchdog @ 8pm

ElsasMummy

Warren Scout
Pets at home is going to be on watchdog at 8. Not sure what for but might be worth a watch, I know a lot of people on here have strong views already.

Going on about rabbit welfare, what about the bunches of carrots in the run! :roll:

Ironically I think that's just them trying to show to a non rabbit owner that they're being well fed and cared for now... the beeb are normally really good about animal welfare I wouldnt think for a moment the handlers would leave them in there.

I bet they get heaps of letters from viewers offering homes :)

I have emailed them about the carrots. A bit of an epic fail after the Blue Peter incident. I suggested they didn't perpetuate Beatrix Potter style misinformation.

Can someone summarise what went on for us who haven't seen it?

Guinea pigs with ringworm, girl then became so poorly after contracting ringworm that she ended up in hospital (due to other existing health condition getting worse because of ringworm). Also someone had bought a couple of bunnies and both died within days.

They inspected 8 stores I think, hidden cameras. Bought 2 poorly looking bunnies and a guinea pig because they were worried about them. Dead fish in all stores I think, in different states of decomposition with no one noticing.

Staff being filmed not giving out proper care information when selling pets.

Ended by saying that they may revisit P@H in a later episode - over 500 emails from customers throughout the show.

P@H had already (2 days ago) published a statement in response to the progamme.

http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Info_10601_watchdog_-1_10551

Please note their response ref the bunnies partic that "if gut probs don;t develop within a few hours it wasn;t an issue previously contracted at P@H"

I sent an email to Wachdog before the progamme aired having catalogued MANY case histories of P@H ringworm in guinea pigs over the last 18months on TGPF forum (plus pregnancies and other issues)

Watchdog may have had 500 emails - but my one email contained over 35 case histories!

I was disappointed the VIP buns weren;t mentioned. Please will someone with more knowledge than me email them as i think they will be revisiting this topic in view of the number of emails they had tonight.

xxx

in their defence, the woman who had lost rabbits said one was unwell in the morning and by the time her husband got home.............too late. If your bun is unwell you don't wait 8 hours, those 8 hours can change the outcome.

in their defence, the woman who had lost rabbits said one was unwell in the morning and by the time her husband got home.............too late. If your bun is unwell you don't wait 8 hours, those 8 hours can change the outcome.

I thought she said it was unwell in the morning and her husband took it to the vet and she didn't get to say goodbye because she was at work.

*may be confused*

The fish thing was bad, but some of the other stuff seemed a little blown out of proportion. For example, they commented on P@H keeping baby syrians hamsters for sale in a group but advising they have to be kept singly... which as far as I'm aware is fine? The two rabbits that died 10 days after they were bought - that could just as easily be something at their new home (incorrect diet etc.) than anything to do with P@H.

It sort of makes me think well if that's the worse you could have come up with, its probably a lot better than if you visited a random selection of independent shops.

The fish thing was bad, but some of the other stuff seemed a little blown out of proportion. For example, they commented on P@H keeping baby syrians hamsters for sale in a group but advising they have to be kept singly... which as far as I'm aware is fine? The two rabbits that died 10 days after they were bought - that could just as easily be something at their new home (incorrect diet etc.) than anything to do with P@H.

It sort of makes me think well if that's the worse you could have come up with, its probably a lot better than if you visited a random selection of independent shops.
These are my thoughts too. If I remember rightly, one of the bunnies died after two weeks. As we all know, rabbits (babies especially) are super-sensitive so anything could have happened in that time and without a diagnosis I don't see why P@H was entirely to blame. Also, with the hamsters, no, Syrians shouldn't be kept in groups but, realistically, hamsters sell very quickly so they were unlikely to be kept in those tanks for very long.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to defend P@H but I think there are so many more serious issues that could have been addressed, most notably the VIP & SVIP rabbits.

Back