• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

4 week old kit advice please U/D back from emergency vets

xleannex

Young Bun
After being with the kits today and notice in the cage there is some diarrhea, not sure which or how many of the kits this is from. Ive checked under there bums, all seem to have a really tiny bit of fur that that looks as though its dried urine (i guess that's normal? it really is only a few strands) One has a few strands covered in what could have been diarrhea poo but just a few strands and really clean other than that. One however has poo stuck to it and is really dirty, the poo stuck to it is solid but there is evidence of diarrhea also.

First question - is this something to worry about? and what do i do about this?
Second question - can i clean her and how is this suppose to be done?

btw - kits are 4 weeks, we lost their mum last Wednesday so been a week without her. All seem well, all gained weight except one who has lost weight (not the dirty one) but the one in question was underweight last week but gained this week. if any of that helps? imo she also is very quiet compared to the others, is not bothered much by any thing, i have seen her eat and drink though. Even before i saw this i was worried about her, no reason just the feeling i get when i look at her.

Last edited:
This is something to be exceptionally worried about. Personally, I would be seeking out the best rabbit savvy emergency vet you can find for this.

What happened to mum?

How has their life changed since then? how has their diet changed?

Also, give a heat source (snugglesafe, or similar) so that the bunny/ies can have something warm to sit on.

After being with the kits today and notice in the cage there is some diarrhea, not sure which or how many of the kits this is from. Ive checked under there bums, all seem to have a really tiny bit of fur that that looks as though its dried urine (i guess that's normal? it really is only a few strands) One has a few strands covered in what could have been diarrhea poo but just a few strands and really clean other than that. One however has poo stuck to it and is really dirty, the poo stuck to it is solid but there is evidence of diarrhea also.

First question - is this something to worry about? and what do i do about this?
Second question - can i clean her and how is this suppose to be done?

btw - kits are 4 weeks, we lost their mum last Wednesday so been a week without her. All seem well, all gained weight except one who has lost weight (not the dirty one) but the one in question was underweight last week but gained this week. if any of that helps? imo she also is very quiet compared to the others, is not bothered much by any thing, i have seen her eat and drink though. Even before i saw this i was worried about her, no reason just the feeling i get when i look at her.

She/He needs immediate Veterinary attention I am afraid. It sounds as though she/He may have enteritis and this can be fatal in a 4 week old Kit

I would advise you to get her/him to a Vet this evening for examination and treatment

Good luck

This is something to be exceptionally worried about. Personally, I would be seeking out the best rabbit savvy emergency vet you can find for this.

What happened to mum?

How has their life changed since then? how has their diet changed?

Also, give a heat source (snugglesafe, or similar) so that the bunny/ies can have something warm to sit on.

Someone broke into my garden and opened their cage, all 5 kits were also gone but we found them hidden around the garden. Life has stayed the same other than that, food has been the same, they have one type of veg atm only, it was what they nibbled on when mum was there so carried on giving it to them.

Will look now for an emergency vet to call

Just back from the emergency vet, her appearance etc seemed healthy, he thinks she's under nourished and that's causing the diarrhea, we've been given some powder with what she needs and to give it 4 times a day, we've cleaned her up, cleaned the diarrhea from the cage and all seems well at the moment. Just got to keep an eye on her over the next 12 hours in case there is an underlying problem that develops :?

Back