• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on rescuing an english lop buck

Twiglet

New Kit
I wondered if I could ask your advice about whether to adopt an English Lop buck who is currently in the RSPCA. I have 2 other rabbits one female dwarf lop and a buck mini rex, they were both rescued from the RSPCA and was wondering how the 2 males would get on. Both of my bunnies are neutered. Do you think this combinatin would work or not. I have the capacity to separate them initially. Your advice will be gratefully received.

Thanks Jill

Boys will fight even when neutered. You may be very lucky and get compatible personalities but what would you do if they kept fighting?

Many thanks for your advice and info. Not sure if I'll go ahead as I don't want to end up upsetting the apple cart with Bumble and Twiglet's bonding, sounds too much of a risk.

Many thanks Jill

Boys will fight even when neutered.

Er. sorry but I disagree with this. Some bucks will fight, some does will fight, some bucks and does will fight.
Some of my happiest bonds have been all male. Certainly in my experience the girlies have always proved harder to bond than the boys.
Good advice though, making sure you have alternative arrangements in case they don't get on:thumb:

Boys will fight even when neutered. You may be very lucky and get compatible personalities but what would you do if they kept fighting?

I am afraid I disagree with the statement that boys will fight . . .

I keep several groups and pairs of all sexes - I have a group with 3 boys and a girl, a groups with 2 boys and 4 girl, a group with 2 boys and 2 girls - and a pair that are just two boys . . . (and several other groups of allmixes!!!)

I have over the years bonded many pairs and groups and I believe firmly that it depends far more on the character of the buns than the sex of them. The hardest I have had has actually been two girls.

Back