• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dual vacs - do now or wait till feb next year? (£38.42 each normal?)

chelle

Warren Veteran
Hi all..I know this has been discussed in length:oops:

Just a quick question...my buns are due their 6 month booster for myxi now.

Usually I get their vhd & myxi in feb...so before the summer months start.

If I get thier dual vacs done now...will it be "strong" still for next summer?
Im wondering if I should just leave it till next year feb and get the dual vacs then?

I can try get a 6 month booster vacs for myxi now..or just leave that till feb for the booster one.

Help!?

Thansk you

also - cost quoted £38.42 each...

Last edited:
As you say, there have been lots of posts about the combined vaccination.
Personally I wouldn't postpone the myxi vac - so many cases being reported. I would have the combined one now - but perhaps seek the advice of your vet.

As you say, there have been lots of posts about the combined vaccination.
Personally I wouldn't postpone the myxi vac - so many cases being reported. I would have the combined one now - but perhaps seek the advice of your vet.

thanks hun for the quick response...yeah - I wanted to do either vacs now but was worried about the dual one being done before winter and not summer..didnt seem right to me...anyways - they just rung me back (vets) and said to do the myxi vacs now and then we will start the dual ones next year.

So Im pleased with that...means they covered still for vhd for one year and they have their 6 month myxi booster...bless them...they have no idea they going to the vets friday! lol!:p:love:

Is the usual cost for the dual vacs around £38.42?

Glad you're sorted!
Prices seem to vary a lot - some people have managed to get special offers, so very cheap - but I think that normally people are paying anything between £30 & £40.

I have just phoned my vet when I got home with this very question..... I have 2 over due because I was on holiday. They said that because they are in a raural environment (at our barn that we have nearly finished converting) I should get them done because they are outside etc. To be honest I feel more at ease having them done anyway.

Biscuit's been done for the combined vaccination, and it was £40 on the nose. Its no cheaper than doing the two individuals but does save having to go back, so saves on stress to bun.

I certainly would not wait until feb, i'd ensure bun was vacc'd now :wave:

I was in roughly the same position. I had the single myxi vaccinations done and will have the dual vaccination done in 6 months time. I can't say whether that is the best option or not. They say the new double vaccination provides better myxi protection than the 6 month one. But does it provide 100% protection for a full year or does it tail off? We don't know

Thanks all..I did think it was abit pricey - I was thinking more about £30...not nearer £40 :-( oh well...
Plus I quite enjoy taking the buns to the vets every 6 months...just re-assure me that they are all healthy, teeth checked etc...oh well..depending on consultation costs..i might still be able to do checkups now & then.

I was in roughly the same position. I had the single myxi vaccinations done and will have the dual vaccination done in 6 months time. I can't say whether that is the best option or not. They say the new double vaccination provides better myxi protection than the 6 month one. But does it provide 100% protection for a full year or does it tail off? We don't know

^^ Im doing the same...doing the 6 month myxi booster now and then the dual combi vacs in 6 onths time...prefer it this way as I was also worried the myxi would "tail" off...so at least I know the summer months the buns will be well covered.

I worked out costs:
£18 per vacs VHD X 3buns = £54
£18 per vacs Myxi X 3buns = £54

£18 6month myxi booster vacs X3 buns = £54

Total per annum: £162
might have been slightly less for the first double vacs...so £155-£162)

£38.42 per Dual combi vacs X 3buns = £115.26

Savings per annum: £46.74

so.....not bad...thats a couple of special type hays bales for them! :p

Back