• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cold weather and lack of winter coats... Worrying :o(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I am quite worried about Daisy and Digby outside :( it is getting to be about 5 degrees here at night now, and normally I know they'd be fine, but they're still losing last winter's coat! They haven't had chance to grow new ones yet, the weather's been so changeable :( is anyone else worried? They've got snugglesafes tonight, not that they'll use them :roll: Daisy always feels freezing in the morning though now :( poor buns. I wish they could live inside.

my bunnies are indoors but i gave them extra fleeces in their carrier/hides last night because the house isn't heated. i got the fleeces at asda £1 each. they're small, but ok.

my bunnies are indoors but i gave them extra fleeces in their carrier/hides last night because the house isn't heated. i got the fleeces at asda £1 each. they're small, but ok.

I have indoor buns too, Olly and Honey :wave: they don't have a clue how lucky they are!! Nice and warm and pampered :lol: makes me feel worse about Daisy and Digby though :( I think Digby used to be a housebun, and he hasn't forgotten... He's always trying to get his feet under the table :lol:

Mine are outdoor too, they have a shed, the temp in there this morning was 2 degres, rupert looks frozen (he did this last winter too but they have a bed filled with straw but dont use it, only used it last year when it was -8). I'm not cut out for outdoor bunny ownership, I feel so guilty, I'm trying not to give them the snugglesafe's yet, because i want them to get their thick coats, which they're starting to get, rupert is noticeably thicker, and i *think* he's giving me the 'im a poor deprived freezing bunny' routine, but its working! :roll:

My guys are in a group of 7 so should be keeping each other cosy. I am resisting the very strong urge to put the plastic sheet over the mesh or give them a deeper bed of hay because I know the longer I hold off the thicker their coats will be for the really cold weather. As long as they are dry and protected from the wind then I am sure they are just fine!

I'm feeding my two up so that they have a bit of weight on them to keep them warm, Sebastians coat is very thin atm, he has just finished a mega moult :roll: Imogen is fine, she didn't really moult

You'd be surprised at how resilient they can be :)

I'd personally just start offering snugglesafes if you are concerned, if possible, mount them UNDER the hutch (if they live in a hutch/run setup which i think they do?) so the warmth just radiates up and through? Top up the amount of hay etc, but as Ali says, do your best to not go crazy so they develop a naturalness.

It really isn't that cold right now, yes, its going down to 6-10 at night, but its not crazy cold yet, they still have a fair amount of time yet to sort out their coats.

Biscuit is going through a stupid moult atm getting ready for winter, you may think that sounds odd for a housebunny, but due to Ginger, my office is always similar temperatures to outside as the window is ALWAYS open, so they do feel the difference between the air, they just dont have hthe wind to deal with.

His undercoat is AMAZINGLY thick, and i mean :shock: thick! The stuff coming off him atm is so soft and thin.

Ginger still hasn't even finished her first ever moult :roll: :lol:

Back