• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you put under a shed as a base ?

I was just chatting to a colleaguea bout this I have some paving slabs; so apparently 'sharp sand' and then paving slabs on top....

I have the thick 3 x 2 paving slabs under my kennel and run. You can use paving slabs, or you can have a concrete slab laid.

We were going to go concrete slabs under ours, but at around 32' x 10' the cost and time to do it was too much (we needed the shed up and running asap).

We went with a strong wooden frame, supported in place using short posts dug deep into the ground and a wooden floor. It won't last quite as long, but if treated annually it should still last a good couple of decades hopefully.

Thanks. I guess part grass isn't the best.

Plus what is an eco-base ?

Is that an economy base? The cheapest wooden base that comes with the shed? Garden Buildings Direct calls it an 'economy solid sheet base', which is the one I went for. Might be barking up the wrong tree there!

We got our sheds from Garden Buildings Direct.

We didn't buy the floors though - built them myself as it was cheaper and I'd imagine better quality. I would strongly suggest not to go eco base. Its basically Chipboard and I'd give it a couple of years before it would be rotten.

As an aside, we bought two sheds from them (a 20' and a 12') and whilst they're now up and working for us, I was really disappointed at the quality of them. They are very light weight, and not a brilliant fit. They're not as easy to build as other higher quality sheds, although granted they are light enough to manouver. If you can I'd pay a little extra elsewhere for a better shed,

We got our sheds from Garden Buildings Direct.

We didn't buy the floors though - built them myself as it was cheaper and I'd imagine better quality. I would strongly suggest not to go eco base. Its basically Chipboard and I'd give it a couple of years before it would be rotten.

As an aside, we bought two sheds from them (a 20' and a 12') and whilst they're now up and working for us, I was really disappointed at the quality of them. They are very light weight, and not a brilliant fit. They're not as easy to build as other higher quality sheds, although granted they are light enough to manouver. If you can I'd pay a little extra elsewhere for a better shed,

I thought the Eco base was plastic?

We're getting terminology confused I think. Garden Buildings Direct have an economy base (not Eco Base as a brand). Their economy base is just a cheap floor. I've not bought it, but from the description it sounds like Chipboard flooring,

It basically needs to be raised up so the wooden bit isn't directly on the ground otherwise it will rot very quickly. Is the base completely flat or does it have 3 or 4 lengths of wood running along it's length on one side? Ideally it should be laid on concrete/paving slabs with those bits of wood on the underside,so that the wooden base is completely raised off the floor. If you just lay it on grass/soil, the supports and base will rot within a year or so, so I'm afraid you may need to do some work to get a base ready for it.

Back