• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male neutering for older bun ??

Lucy1666

Mama Doe
posting for a friend please respond :D

Hello, I have two male rabbits, both unneutered at the moment, and living on their own. I am planning to neuter them both when I have enough money, and I am booking them in for their health checks tomorrow! I have one english spot cross rabbit, who is two, and a dutch rabbit, who had to go to the vets in November with a head tilt, he luckily recovered fully. However, Diago (the dutch) was predicted to be 5+ and I am so nervous to put him through the neutering process. I have huge plans for them both, and its something I have been planning to do for months. I'm also scared about bonding two male buns. Please may someone offer me some advice? I would be so grateful. ♥

Hi,

We have neutered a number of older rabbits without any issues.

Your vet will likely tell you, rightly so, that an older rabbit may take longer to recover from neutering, and may have an adverse reaction to the aneasthetic. However, in our experience the risk is no greater for older rabbits than it is for younger.

The key is have a vet who has the confidence to do the job well, so take your time to make sure you are confident in your vet!

You're absolutely doing the right thing for your boys though, despite the risks. I assume the intention would be to bond the two boys together once recovered? We recommend waiting 6 weeks between the latest op and trying bonding as trying any earlier may still be difficult (hormones won't have quite settled down).

Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted here ;-)

Back