• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Worming Advice Please

shaz1975

Young Bun
Well its come round to the time of the cycle to worm my rabbits and my local vet has put the prices of pancur up Which really i cant afford for 4 Buns :( Can anybody tell me if they have given their Rabbits Verm X Herbal Nuggets I use the dogs version of it for Both My dogs and it seems ok but Honestly I have never Given them to the rabbits, Im thinking that they wont eat it because they are in nugget form and they pick out the pellets and nuggets in their daily foods little monsters that they are :love:. Im thinking if i do give them Verm X I will have to crush the nuggets up and mix into their normal daily feed.:roll:
Has any body got any advice on what you do for worming your Buns or a cheaper alternative to protect my guys I only get Disabilty Income every month and the vets prices are going to take a very large chunk out of my Money if I buy it from them, im disgusted at the prices they are charging for it. I dont want to sound like a cheap skate, I love my animals all very dearly but I have to live aswell Dont get me wrong I will go without if my buns or other pets need medical attention and i will save for months on end to make sure they have the housing they need etc. But im not going to line the vets pockets for them either. All advice will be appreciated. :wave:

I don't worm my rabbits unless they get symptoms of EC and I have lots of elderly buns doing really well.

Interesting read thanks for the link;) I worm my cats and dogs regulary with either pet Garlic Tabs or Verm x and it seems to keep them clear of both worms fleas and ticks, But the rabbits I did when i first wormed on the advice of the vets when I had them, all costing me a fortune in panacur for all four, but now ive been reading the link im wondering now if they need to do to be wormed they have no symptoms of EC or worms and they dont realy go on the grass because they all have hutches with big runs, I think it is my Vets pressuring me into paying for the panacur and giving me the scare tactics, I think im going to change their vet and use the ones both my Dogs see they are excellent when it comes to Rabbits, Greyhounds, Horses, etc.

The other thing i might do is just try them on the rabbit verm x for a while and see how I go thanks for the advice guys :wave:

plus they eat basil every morning and this is meant to be a herbal treatment for worms dont know how true that is though :?

The thing about worms is that they have to eat something at the cyst stage of life cycle for it to turn into bunny worms - and as bunnies don't eat mice and other common carriers, then the risk really is minimal. Even those who move around on grass are unlikely to pick up something at the right stage of the life cycle, so honestly I really wouldn't worry about it. When people refer to 'worming' bunnies they usually mean a preventative e.c treatment rather than worms as such, but again many people don't panacur regularly for this as the evidence for its effectiveness basically only confirms that it will prevent an ec infection if the ec is introduced at the time the panacur is being given! So while it might be helpful if the bun is going somewhere different like into boarding, then many don't give it routinely unless there is a good reason to do so (e.g. ec symptoms have been seen).

Personally I think it risks more harm than good to over-do drugs or even the treats which are supposedly helping to prevent worms, as the risks are minimal especially in bunnies which stay within one enclosed area. I wouldn't give the verm-x type things either for this reason, personally, although I guess we all have to take a judgement call based on our own feelings of the risks and benefits for each of our individual furries and their circumstances :D

The thing about worms is that they have to eat something at the cyst stage of life cycle for it to turn into bunny worms - and as bunnies don't eat mice and other common carriers, then the risk really is minimal. Even those who move around on grass are unlikely to pick up something at the right stage of the life cycle, so honestly I really wouldn't worry about it. When people refer to 'worming' bunnies they usually mean a preventative e.c treatment rather than worms as such, but again many people don't panacur regularly for this as the evidence for its effectiveness basically only confirms that it will prevent an ec infection if the ec is introduced at the time the panacur is being given! So while it might be helpful if the bun is going somewhere different like into boarding, then many don't give it routinely unless there is a good reason to do so (e.g. ec symptoms have been seen).

Personally I think it risks more harm than good to over-do drugs or even the treats which are supposedly helping to prevent worms, as the risks are minimal especially in bunnies which stay within one enclosed area. I wouldn't give the verm-x type things either for this reason, personally, although I guess we all have to take a judgement call based on our own feelings of the risks and benefits for each of our individual furries and their circumstances :D

Thankyou for the advice ive decided im not going to pump them with the panacur and the verm x they prob wont eat it any way they are happy and content with the way things are so im not going to mess up their routine :love::wave:

Back