• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

gap in playhouse door, advice please

lioness178

Young Bun
Hi everyone

I bought a playhouse for buns a few month ago and want to insulate it for winter, however I noticed that the door (which has a magnetic opener) has a gap inbetween it which I think is to prevent any kiddies fingers from becoming jammed, but as this is a bunny house I am not concerned about that. What I am concerned about is the winter wind blowing through this gap and if anyone had any advice on how I could stop this, obviously I still need to open and close the door but judt something for the gap (which is also where the magnets connect).

Hmmm, anyone? :)

I would get some wood and frame the door frame so that when the door is closed against the wood it wont have any gaps

If that makes sense :lol:

A good flow of air into your wendy house is a good thing and will keep the interior from becoming damp and mouldy :D. Personally, I'd leave the gap - you don't want a sealed box - it's not healthy. The heathiest cattle in winter are those in a clean and dry barn with a howling gale blowing through :D. The same can be said for bunnies. The insulation will keep it nice and dry and help to maintain a more constant temperature but if you seal it too much, it'll get damp and mouldy - I know this from bitter experience. Airflow is a wonderful thing :D.

A good flow of air into your wendy house is a good thing and will keep the interior from becoming damp and mouldy :D. Personally, I'd leave the gap - you don't want a sealed box - it's not healthy. The heathiest cattle in winter are those in a clean and dry barn with a howling gale blowing through :D. The same can be said for bunnies. The insulation will keep it nice and dry and help to maintain a more constant temperature but if you seal it too much, it'll get damp and mouldy - I know this from bitter experience. Airflow is a wonderful thing :D.

Thanks for this - this is great advice and something I have been thinking alot about with regards to my wendyhouse. Never thought of it that way, but it makes so much sense! :D Thanks. :)

If you are worried about them being chilly then I personally would provide a box stuffed with straw inside the house with the pop hole facing away from the door. Then they can seek snugness if they want it and fresh air at all other times:thumb:

Wild rabbits do fine with bitter temperatures and no bedding, but their burrows are free of biting draughts;)

If you are worried about them being chilly then I personally would provide a box stuffed with straw inside the house with the pop hole facing away from the door. Then they can seek snugness if they want it and fresh air at all other times:thumb:

Wild rabbits do fine with bitter temperatures and no bedding, but their burrows are free of biting draughts;)

Great idea.

Ive actually nailed one of these into mine, raised off the floor ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trixie-Na...nimals&var=&hash=item35bf785291#ht_1438wt_942

Solid box, big enough for both (small) buns. I dont know if they use it yet though. Bit hard to tell. They are always vying for attention or food when I go to see them so I never see where they snooze.....!

Agree with what's been said. My summerhouse has a gap that runs between the doors and also I've left what would be the key hole open for a bit of air flow. They've got a carry box filled with hay and also a small 2 tier hutch to shelter from the draught. As long as it's dry and there's plenty of snuggly places I would think it's fine.

:thumb:

Mine just have an insulated bed area because it worked out much cheaper and less effort than insulating the whole shed. It's also easier for them to heat a small area with their body temperature than a whole shed (even if it is insulated).

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

I will leave it then, insulate rest of house as planned and make sure they have a snuggle box ;)

This forum is fab :D

Back