• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Double hind leg amputation

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I was just wondering what people's opinions are on this.:?

It is not something I had come across before but have now seen several rabbits having gone through a double hind leg amputation for different reasons in the US.

My initial reaction was one of shock and horror but then when I sat down and though about it realised that if both legs are completely useless and they are dragging them around then removing them would make sense. But it still doesn't sit right with me 100%

Of course as with any bunny when it comes to a serious disability it depends on their personalities etc but I have never come across a rabbit in the UK having such an operation.

I know in the US they do have a different approach to veterinary care. Trevor's physio worked out there for a while and saw some very extreme surgeries being done which would make the hair curl on a UK vet!

I know we always say just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done. But in the right circumstances should such an operation be done if the bunny was able to cope?

Obviously it is never something we would consider for Trevor as she has feelings in her legs and the hope of walking again. But given her personality and determination if her legs were completely dead and getting damaged would a double leg amputation be the right thing for her? I honestly don't know......

So was just wondering what other people thought about it :wave:

This is something that has crossed my mind with Oxo. I don't know how I feel about it either?

well although it does seem extreme in some ways if the legs are just dragging is it really any different - in fact presumably it is better as the bun does not have to drag the legs around with the added danger of them getting caught on things are dragging with dirt etc?

Having said that I do not think my vets would consider doing it . . .

well although it does seem extreme in some ways if the legs are just dragging is it really any different - in fact presumably it is better as the bun does not have to drag the legs around with the added danger of them getting caught on things are dragging with dirt etc?

This is exactly my thoughts on it. My vet wouldn't do a double enucleation a few years back, which at the end of the day is the same as a bunny being blind so can't imagine they would do a double hind leg amputation!

Just to add, of the bunnies a I know the reasons for, the legs were removed because there was a physical problem with the actual legs, not just due to paralysis, such as cancer or infection

If I had a rabbit, who had NO mobility in the hind legs, with NO hope of ever gaining mobility again I would consider it. In my eyes the rabbit would likely be better off without the legs than with them :wave:

This is exactly my thoughts on it. My vet wouldn't do a double enucleation a few years back, which at the end of the day is the same as a bunny being blind so can't imagine they would do a double hind leg amputation!

towards the end Florence was dragging her one remaining leg (having had an amputation years before on the other one) and it put an awful lot of pressure on her front legs to do that because of the weight which meant they were starting to splay - and the fur around the leg to body area got very dirty always and was difficult to dry - but she was always very feisty . .

In the end it was the vets that called time really - she was physically tired I know but her spirit was still very strong - t this day I am not sure if we stepped in a little too early :(

I think I am perhaps trying to say that in certain circumstances perhaps it might be an option IF the vets really believed in at as well .

If I had a rabbit, who had NO mobility in the hind legs, with NO hope of ever gaining mobility again I would consider it. In my eyes the rabbit would likely be better off without the legs than with them :wave:

I think regards mobility problems I don't think I could do it as you just never know if a miracle would happen :?

If it was to stop cancer or infection spreading then I just don't know as TBH I think once you get to that point then the chances are other parts of the body have already been affected :?

Its a tough one!

My worry would be that with immobile backlegs, rabbits tend to sit to the side, putting pressure on the outside of one thigh/hip, with no legs, they'd be able to rest in a more upright position and the areas that would move the pressure to are very sensitive!

Not sure I'm comfortable with that idea. A single hind leg amputation is easy to live with and most rabbits behave as if they still have 4 legs. However, with no hind legs the rabbit is going to find toileting very difficult and, I would imagine, find themselves soiled all the time as they couldn't 'lift' themselves to wee or bend down to collect cecals etc. I'd also think they would get pressure sores from sitting on areas that weren't designed to be sat on.

I think my opinion is that I wouldn't consider it to be fair on a bunny and its quality of life.

Not sure I'm comfortable with that idea. A single hind leg amputation is easy to live with and most rabbits behave as if they still have 4 legs. However, with no hind legs the rabbit is going to find toileting very difficult and, I would imagine, find themselves soiled all the time as they couldn't 'lift' themselves to wee or bend down to collect cecals etc. I'd also think they would get pressure sores from sitting on areas that weren't designed to be sat on.

I think my opinion is that I wouldn't consider it to be fair on a bunny and its quality of life.

But Trevor is constantly wet underneath as she sits on her side all the time so the wee just runs over her, she also doesn't eat her cecals :( So not sure there is a difference in that regard between having no legs and having unusable legs :?

I agree 100% with that. I think the issue is our response to it. It looks shocking but it is likely better and safe for the rabbit. as always, I think it comes down to quality of life and how they cope.

There was a rabbit at our local rescue that had a double hind leg amputation. It was to stop the spread of infection. The rabbit was abused and left with two broken legs. The legs could not be saved because of an infection that set into both. The bunny was a fighter and had a jest for life. The amputation gave the rabbit 3 almost 4 years of a happy life. He dragged his body around and also was fitted for a cart/wheel chair that he zoomed around in. He lived with a special caretaker but visited the rescue for fund raising events. He always seemed very happy.

There was a rabbit at our local rescue that had a double hind leg amputation. It was to stop the spread of infection. The rabbit was abused and left with two broken legs. The legs could not be saved because of an infection that set into both. The bunny was a fighter and had a jest for life. The amputation gave the rabbit 3 almost 4 years of a happy life. He dragged his body around and also was fitted for a cart/wheel chair that he zoomed around in. He lived with a special caretaker but visited the rescue for fund raising events. He always seemed very happy.

may I ask if you are in UK? (sorry - I should probably know that . . . )

I don't think I would do it but don't really have enough experience with rabbits to offer an informed opinion.

However... I don't think I'd put a cat or a dog through a double amputation no matter how much I loved them - or perhaps exactly because I loved them. :( So I don't see myself putting a rabbit through it either.

Back