• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What IS it about bunnies? Please explain this curious obsession?

Fellie

Warren Veteran
I've always loved animals - in all shapes and sizes (yup - even spiders!) but have always had dogs, cats, horses, budgies, hamsters, fish - but never rabbits. And quite honestly - I didn't think they had much charachter or anything really that would make me want one particualy - apart from the fact they are cute.

All that changed in February when I came home from work to find my OH had been to the pet shop to get fish food, and somehow ended up coming home with Boris our Mogwai Rabbit. Now neither of us knew anything about keeping a rabbit so it was a bit of an irresponsible thing to do without researching it all properly - but we are 2 reasonably intelligent humans, both working in well paid jobs so we had the resources to learn and pay for vets as necessary.

It took me a while - but I gradually fell completely in love with that little Boris - especially when one weekend, OH was working, Boris was out with me in the lounge and OH came home, into the lounge and Boris jumped up and bounced over to OH, so happy to see him. Then I realised what a wonderful little creature we had and since then I've been completely smitten and obsessed with them. I'll never forget Boris's first binky - we'd had him for about 3 days and it was his first time having a free run in the lounge - he suddenly shook his head and did an almighty binky - we didn't know rabbits did that - and were very concerned until we found out that it means Boris is a happy chappy when he does that :).

At least with Harley we had a bit more experience and it's been lovely bonding with her, with a bit more confidence and knowing what to look for. I love having another rabbit who has a completely different in personality. I think Boris is more like his dad and she is more like me - happy and accomodating most of the time, but with the tendancy to stamp our feet when we don't like something;).

But what is it about this little creatures that has us all so completely hooked on them? Sure they are cute - but it's got to be more than that?

I think they are the best of both worlds, the independence of a cat but the loyalty of a dog. They are so different to what people presume them to be and once you learn their ways it's wonderful. :love:

Bunnies have always had a special place in my heart, when I was younger we always had bunnies. Granted I never gae them the standard of care that I could if I had them now but I did my best.
They were outdoor buns and I never really had a bond with them despite the fact that I loved them very much.
When I got Angel we developed such a strong bond so quickly.
I can't live without her and she has been my rock when times were tough.
She also knows when i'm looking after her. She doesn't like anyone else picking her up etc but when it's me she lets me do anything to her :)
I do love Bailey and Parsley so much as well and feel I have a good strong bond. But Angel will always be my wee baby :)

I also feel there's something spiritual about the bond we have with our animals, they sense something in us that is similar to them, and I think that's why we have stronger bonds and attachments to certain bunny's.

I am bunny mad :) :love::love:

For me it's their vunerability. In general terms A dog will love anyone, a cat will be independant, but a rabbit is like neither - it take's time and patience to earn their trust but once they open up they reward you with a hive of activity and affection :love:

A lot of people really don't get it and a lot of people, like Fellie first did, think that rabbits have no personality and that they just sit outside in a hutch. I have always found them to be fascinating curious and loving animals with bags of character, each different to the next.

I always wanted a full time house bunny and OH found Moley and let me have him as a house bunny unfortunately he does chew everything and nips quite a lot - especially the OH this in turn has put my OH off of rabbits and he can't understand my obsession. We are moving soon and Moley has been relegated to o/s 9ft x 5ft shed and I'm going to miss him so much ... But I do agree he can't stay in the bungalow it's just too small.:cry: my next job is to convince OH Moley needs a wife bun... Think I will have to leave this a couple of months though.

But to summarise some people are bunny mad others just don't get it - they are the ones missing out!! ;)

I don't know. No matter how bad I feel, when I see my own bunnies running round the garden, or wild ones doing their own thing, it always makes me smile.

(wheeking piggies when I open the fridge door has the same effect :D)

Back