• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shaving bums?

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
We have to give Poppy a trim and a wipe almost every other day to make sure it doesn't get all clumpy with poo.

If we had her bum and bits shaved would that make any difference?

it might help i dont know the back story as to why she is poopy its easiest to try and change the underlying cause if possible if its sticky poo put cornflour onto it and then it pulls off easier, xx

it might help i dont know the back story as to why she is poopy its easiest to try and change the underlying cause if possible if its sticky poo put cornflour onto it and then it pulls off easier, xx

She can't eat hay, only her pellets so her poops are not always perfect :) her grapey poops usually look like dates :lol:

It's usually random bits that have dried which I just cut off but around her foofy it is a bit smelly and sometimes wet with poo, although easy to wipe off. I thought it might be a bit easier to help her maintain.

My Pixie is exactly the same with a poopy bottom (not down to diet just that she is the wrong shape to cliean herself as bless her she just cant reach herself). I often clip her bottom are with Wahl dog clippers. Takes the fur off really easily but please be very careful and only use if bunny would sit there very still. The clippers are very quiet and low vibraition so very pet friendly. I always pop my hand on her first then put the clippers on the back of my had so she can feel the vibes through my hand that way i know in an instant if she is in the mood for a hair cut as if she wriggles I leave it for another day : ) Hope this helps, my vet always used to do this for me but she hated it. she has been fine with me doing it though.

recently had Yukis bum shaved and its made such a difference it wipes off easily I dont have to bath her as often and I can put sudocrem on her more easily when needed.

i trim three out of my four furry bums (with hairdressers scissors) because they are so fluffy they struggle to stay as immaculate as they would wish. cecile manages fine - she doesn't like the indignity of personal services.

Back