• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this poop normal?

Kit.pike

Young Bun
Hi,

I was just wondering my rabbits poop has changed. I have a pic but don't know how to add to the post.
Does anyone know how to?

Thanks

92de7d87.jpg

That's not normal at all, it looks like either messy waste poops or a mix of that and excess caecotrophs.

What is buns EXACT diet?

They have about 2 handfuls of pellets as there is two.
And hay I am not sure I put about 3 handfuls in.

Are they having too much?
How much should they have?

Are you sticking to the recommended quantity of the excel? the hay isn't the problem-they can and should have access to as much as they can eat. These poos are often the result of overfeeding rabbit food. Essentially there's more squidy poo being produced than the buns want to eat. Check the amount of food you're giving and how. It's generally better to feed a bit-let them eat it all and then feed again later as many bunnies will just gobble it all in one go otherwise. One of mine certainly does that. It's not an indication of illness or anything so panic ye not. But these poos often get stuck to buns bums which can make them sore and vulnerable to fly strike and/or trodden in by buns or you. Are you buns overweight? This is the alternative, that they can't reach their bums to eat these poos.

No they are not overweight.
I will re do the food with recommended amount.
As they are 2 do I double it or leave it as one amount?

Thank u for the reassurance that it is not an indication that they are ill.

Thank u for your help everyone.

They have about 2 handfuls of pellets as there is two.
And hay I am not sure I put about 3 handfuls in.

Are they having too much?
How much should they have?

For adult rabbits the recommended amount of pellets is an eggcupful a day - but you need to reduce to this quantity gradually, no sudden change. Pellets should be regarded more as 'treats', not the largest part of their diet.

Hay should be 80-90% of their diet - so 3 handfuls isn't, I'm afraid, nearly enough. They need to eat loads and loads of hay to keep their teeth and get in good order. (Don't worry, lots make the same mistake when they first have rabbits.) To encourage hay eating (they will eat more, anyway, as their pellets are reduced) I suggest getting a variety for them - Hay4Pets do a sample pack (free, just pay postage).

Are these poos from only 1 bunny or both? If 1 then maybe that bun eats more than the other? Are vast quantities of these poos being produced? I'm not a vet but have experienced this myself frequently over the years. Generally upon close observation, I'll find one bunny more of a gobbler! You're right though, bunny poos tell us alot. If they don't produce any or if they're small and hard that's a big problems and a vet is needed. This isn't about hay but food. Just check quantities and that each bun is eating half of the food and tweak timings and put in 2 bowls if needed-1 per bun. Are they eating all the hay? If they are add more hay. They can eat their own weight in hay a day, it's great at grinding teeth down and fills tummies.

Also Excel seems to be a bit rich in general so if it doesnt get better after reducing pellets and increasing hay you may want to think about gradually switching to another brand.

Good point re: food. Science Selective is a good food and a bit chunkier so it takes more effort to eat. As advised make changes to food gradually but www.the hayexperts.co.uk is great for hay. There's so many kinds of hay available. If you get it locally be careful it's not dusty and comes from a 'clean' source.

I have another rabbit who is 4.5 and I have had no trouble with her.

I will reduce the pellets and add more hay.

Thanks

Yeah my older rabbits poops are big, normal and look like nesquick.

The poops are only from one that I can see.
They have been on the excel all the time, I will put 2 bowls in and see how they go.

Thanks

I always though you where supposed to feed young rabbits unlimited pellets until about 4 months old and then start reducing. I could have sworn that's what the instructions where on the SS when I used to feed it. I give my adult bunnies 1-2 shot glasses full a day depending on the time of year/weather.

If it's just a one off poop then I would think one of the bunnies has just eaten to high of a pellet to hay ratio that day. Some rabbits just don't agree with excel for some reason. My rabbit Buttons was kept in isolation for about 4 months because of problems with soft sticky poos and weight loss. I had kept her on excel which is what she was on when I got her, as recommended by the vet until we sorted out the problem. After I decided to take matters in to my own hands and switch her to Rabbit Royale she was fine. They all did really well on that until Bobby came along and decided to be a selective eater meaning I had to change back on to a pellet.

I always though you where supposed to feed young rabbits unlimited pellets until about 4 months old and then start reducing.

I feed baby buns slightly more pellets as they are growing but I'd never feed unlimited pellets it just affects their hay consumption too much and you start getting problems. To me it makes more sense to Start as you mean to go on. I've never had any problems health wise with feeding young bunnies this way.

I am experiencing exactly the same problem as you KitPike. I have read the advice on here and have been really mean with the amount of pellets they had tonight in an effort to correct it before a real problem sets in.

Fingers crossed that less pellets for both our bunnies will solve the issue. The poo looks like blackberries at the moment, or bits off them at least ... :shock::lol:

Back