• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you mind if people spell/pronounce you buns name wrong?

Trixielover

Mama Doe
As title!

With my bridge bun Tallulah, people used to spell her name Talula. :evil: I didn't say anything but it's the small things that wind me up! :lol:

As title!

With my bridge bun Tallulah, people used to spell her name Talula. :evil: I didn't say anything but it's the small things that wind me up! :lol:

Not massively, nobody EVER seems to get my name right, so I'm kinda used to it. It's not even like I have a tricky name to spell/pronounce. Tonight at the vets I was referred to as miss stoat. It's Stott how is that pronounced as stoat??? Normally I'm miss Scott, had a letter from my bank to miss h scott once, THEY HAVE MY NAME!!!!

My first name Helena has a few different ways to say it too. I respond to all of them now :lol:

no-one can say 'cecile'. i'm used to it. cecil. they think she is called cecil. :evil: no, i can spell, and so can my daughter, who named her. she's 'cecile'. try 'say' but shorter, and follow immediately with 'see' and 'll'. cecile.

Lots of people spell 'Spenser' as 'Spencer', but as this is a much more common form of the name we don't mind too much. He is named after a 16th century poet, hence the unusual spelling.

With names like some of mine have/have had- Orlaith, Aisling, Niamh, Seamus ........I expect people to pronounce them incorrectly !!

I don't think I'm bothered by 'Milo' as my surname is Towey so I've had a lifetime of about 100 different pronunciations - I don't expect anyone to get it right anymore so I just answer to them all! :lol:

I don't really mind. The vets all call Eli Ellie, and lola's name is down as layla on her records because I couldn't be bothered to correct the receptionist.

In fact, I have a regular customer at work who calls me totally the wrong name and I don't really mind. I know she means me, everyone else at work knows she means me so it's not really a problem :lol:

No, but I do get annoyed when people tell me I've spelt Lilly's name wrong! I chose it with two Ls rather than one so that's how her name is spelt! :lol:

With names like some of mine have/have had- Orlaith, Aisling, Niamh, Seamus ........I expect people to pronounce them incorrectly !!

neeve?
shaymuss?
ay (as in hay?) ling?

those are guesses.
i have no idea about orlaith. or-leth?

put me right, jane!

How can you mispronounce Helena, is it hell-an-a? :) the
Surname thing must be annoying!

It's more of an emphasis thing, it can be as you write (which is the right one by the way :D) or hel-ay-nah, or as my own mother spent a few years saying Helna she named me for goodness sakes, she should know there are 2 e's in it!

Its also an easy name to hear wrongly as another, I have had; Helen, Ellen, Elena, Elenor, hannah, Heather... and if I try to introduce myself as Hele then people always think they have misheard as it is not such a recognised shortened version of a name as say pam, or Ellie, I like all of those names by the way, they just happen to not be mine!:lol:

It annoys me that people always refer to Truffle as 'Truffles'. I have no idea why as I always introduce her properly - people just seem to expect that it would be 'Truffles'.

Nobody has ever mis-spelt their names though (apart from the extra 's'). If they did, I don't think it would annoy me, but if would make me angry about British education as I'm not exactly sure how you could mis-spell either of their names!

Sonic's pretty hard to get wrong :lol:

I can't get my friends cats name right to save my life though, she's called Berlioz (googled it!) named after the cat from Aristocats :)

Back