• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What diseases kill rabbits within 12-24 hours?

VHD does I believe and then pretty much anything that makes them stop eating... I am probably missing hundred, rabbits are delicate little creatures!

Viral Hemorrhage Disease kills quickly and there often are no symptoms beforehand. There is also Stasis but that is when the rabbit is not eating, it depends on the situation but that can also kill.

Last edited:
Hmm there could be loads, VHD is an almost instant killer and there's often no symptoms before death, rabbits can often die quite quicky from GI Stasis (when they stop eating, as a rabbits digestive system is designed to always be moving), heart attack (could be shock from a fox trying to get in the hutch or something), internal problems etc. I can't think of much else that doesn't have obvious symptoms, if you haven't buried the rabbit yet and you have others I Advise you to get a post mortem done to see if the rabbit had anything that oculd be passed to the other, I'm not sure if this is your rabbit or not but if it is, I'm very sorry for your loss :(

Well, I got a rabbit from pets at home on the 6th September and on the 11th September he had to be put to sleep. He was fine but on the Monday night he was a little off but still moving etc, I woke the next morning to check on him at about 8am and he wasnt moving and had a wet nose and a dirty bum.
I have another rabbit who is almost 5 and she has shown no signs of being ill.
The vet wasn't sure what it was but she said he was quite skinny and he was 12 weeks old.

Does anyone know what it could have been? Could my rabbit have passed anything on to him?

Thanks

Sadly rabbits do seem to be able to just suddenly die with few previous symptoms. I've certainly experienced sudden and unexplained death-at least twice in recent years. On each occasion my buns were at the vets within minutes of me discovering they weren't well. Each had treatment and for one recovery was virtually guaranteed-in so much as anything can be guaranteed. Both died within hours of initial symptoms showing. I'm not great at many things but my animals are my world and my vets has often commented on how he can see my bunnies illnesses as though from a textbook, so I do SEE things early. My vet once sadly commented that 'rabbits are very good at dying'. It's heartbreaking to lose them after a fight for life, or after many wonderful years but sudden death is as cruel and frightening as it gets. We must always do our best but sometimes it's just not enough.

Well, I got a rabbit from pets at home on the 6th September and on the 11th September he had to be put to sleep. He was fine but on the Monday night he was a little off but still moving etc, I woke the next morning to check on him at about 8am and he wasnt moving and had a wet nose and a dirty bum.
I have another rabbit who is almost 5 and she has shown no signs of being ill.
The vet wasn't sure what it was but she said he was quite skinny and he was 12 weeks old.

Does anyone know what it could have been? Could my rabbit have passed anything on to him?

Thanks

I'd say coccidiosis would be a likely cause

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Coccidiosis_Hedgehog.htm

I'm not a vet but a dirty bum and wet nose are classic bunny warning symtoms-though alas they showed too late for you. Poor little mite. Just keep an eye on your existing bun to be on the safe side and bear in mind that there are many rabbit rescues who are experts at bunny care with lots of buns needing homes. Rabbit care is in general VERY poor in the UK. Vets are often very poorly informed and pet shops even more so. Even knowing the cause won't heal the pain. It's so, so sad when this happens. Poor bun.

in your instance coccidiosis, or any other enteritis related problem - they often occur in rabbits from pet shops and people are unfortunately not warned to look out for the signs. The pet shop often just gives a 'refund or new rabbit' - having cheerfully been implicit in the other one passing away.:evil::evil:

I am so sorry to hear of your little one.

Other illnesses (not relevant in your case I would guess) are VHD and the penumonic form of myxomatosis, or aspiration of fluids or the bursting of an existing peri-orbital abscess.

If my rabbit had died of coccidiosis how would he have got it?
Can it be cured in an older rabbit that has it etc?

Thank you for your replys it has been very helpful. Any other advice would be great.

If my rabbit had died of coccidiosis how would he have got it?
Can it be cured in an older rabbit that has it etc?

Thank you for your replys it has been very helpful. Any other advice would be great.

He probably contracted it whilst in the Pet Shop if it was coccidiosis.

You need to dispose of all soiled bedding and steam clean the environment he occupied. Whilst all Rabbits can contract coccidiosis baby Rabbits tend to be the most at risk and the disease has a very poor prognosis. Treatment is possible but certainly not always successful.

Back