• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rain cover for the hutch

sierra*323

Mama Doe
I've nearly finished making my hutch cover... it is made from waterproof table cloth and covers the roof, back and sides.

Most of the front of the hutch is solid, apart from the mesh door on the bottom level, as originally the upstairs was for the lawnmower! I have a sheet of clear plastic that I peg over the mesh (plenty of gaps for air circulation) to keep the rain and most of the wind out.

My plan is to layer blankets and bubble wrap (or maybe those silver car windscreen covers) over the top, then put my cover over it all.

My question is, should I put the cover on now without the added layers, to protect from the rain? Or will it get too hot in the day time?

I would put it on now as if it rains the wood will get damp. All mine have covers but I keep the front open unless it is raining.

Thanks. I have some bath sealant (sp?) to put on the insides of the seams and some corner protectors to make to reinforce the stitching. I also have to put the velcro on, then it will be ready to go on!

Last winter I used just tarp, blankets and bubble wrap, but as the homemade (not by me! :lol:) hutch is about 10 years old and has no leaks or damp patches I thought I should do my best to keep it going. I was really lucky, my friend's dad built it years ago, for their rabbits when they were kids. It was then their garden storage for a few years. Despite it being so old it is still 6ft - the builder was ahead of his time :thumb:

Back