• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help EC

Faith

New Kit
Hi everyone this is my first post,
I had to take my daughters Netherland Dwarf who is 3yrs old to the vet today as we think he has EC, He is not housed with any other rabbits and has been in great health up until Friday he seemed a little week on his back legs so we kept an eye on him as he was still hopping around etc
When we checked him the next day he seemed a little weaker but the vet said it didnt sound like an emergency as they wernt actually open to make an appointment today.
Now all of his legs seem very weak and spread out when he is trying to move around he has stopped eating and drinking and is no longer moving about. The vet has told us to give him some panacur and if he is no better to take him back on Wednesday now to the hole - Obviously because he is not moving around he is peeing on himself so today when my daughter came back from school we let her get him out so he could be given some water in a syringe and some blended food (vet advised us to do this) and obviously the Panacur and we cleaned him up a little with some wet cotton wool.
Now someone please tell me Im just being an idiot and its his anus or something but there is a hole next to his organs I think thye are his scent glands but they never seem dirty so we dont normally clean them I have taken a picture of it below there is a little skin on the other side but this looks like its an actual hole (I say he but looking a little more closely Im not 100% he is actually a he as he has no visible testicles)

Please any help would be great for the EC and the hole we are currently feeding him blended food (his normal food soaked in water the blended) along with a little vionate just to see if we can help him out a little.

301008_189213174546579_2019221462_n.jpg

Another
251767_189213201213243_1902521165_n.jpg

Last edited:
I think that is his anus and to the right is one of his scent glands. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Has the Vet also prescibed a non steroidal anti inflammatory such as Metacam. This is an *essential* part of the treatment of active EC.

Is you Rabbit passing normal faeces ? If not he/she may also need gut motility medication as well as the assisted feeding

You need to bring your Rabbit indoors to nurse him. He/she is at extremely high risk of flystrike. Did the Vet explain this to you too ? Have you checked him/her thoroughly for any signs of maggots

Did the Vet actually examine him/her ?

Has the Vet also prescibed a non steroidal anti inflammatory such as Metacam. This is an *essential* part of the treatment of active EC.

Is you Rabbit passing normal faeces ? If not he/she may also need gut motility medication as well as the assisted feeding

You need to bring your Rabbit indoors to nurse him. He/she is at extremely high risk of flystrike. Did the Vet explain this to you too ? Have you checked him/her thoroughly for any signs of maggots

Did the Vet actually examine him/her ?

Yes he is passing normal faeces the vet gave him an anti inflammatory injection at the surgery. Checked his eyes, nose, ears and bottom He has been checked thoroughly and is handled nearly every day he is groomed and let out in the run on the grass etc so there are no maggots at all. His hutch is also cleaned regularly so no fly strike on him at all.

Back