• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nails

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Hello again :wave: Busy poster today I am :lol: Just wondering if anyone could post pics of what a rabbits nails should look like... One when they r just sat, and if poss one when the nails r outstretched... I only ask as Summer and Skye apparently got their nails trimmed while they were being spayed. I had noticed that they still looked quite long but I thought this must be how they're meant to be as Heidi's (done at diff vets) were also left fairly long. Anyway I took some pics the other day of the rabbits eating some hawthorn that I put at top of mesh on hutch to make them stretch (was actually trying to c if Summer looked slimmer :lol:) but on the pics her claws still look really long. But when she's just sat (or has 4 feet on the ground :lol: they look fine so im just wondering if it's just because she's stretching her claws out in the pics or if the vet didn't actually cut them :oops: Sorry I'm a bit nervous about nails as iv drawn blood before and I feel so bad when iv done that!! That's why I thought maybe the vet left them quite long :roll: Sorry to be a dimwit :oops:
Here's one of the pics... They were nice pics aswell but ruined when I noticed the nails :( On a, erm, lighter note (no pun intended :lol:) I do think Summer has slimmed down :thumb:
235A86FB-34AF-4049-829A-F038A1103183-34796-000028B000E6D601.jpg

It's always exaggerated when they're poking through the mesh like that, but my vet always cuts them so that they're the same length as the fur around their feet :thumb:

No pics I'm afraid but white nails are easy to trim, you just avoid the pink qwik. On black nails I find it easier to get my hubby to shin a torch underneath them so I can see the qwik as it will be darker. Sometimes if the nails get two long the qwik gets longer aswell so you need to trim them little and often to let the qwik receed, this might explain why they still looked long when the vet cut them (they may not of been able to cut them further).

Thanks again for quick replies today :wave: So they look ok? Like I said they look fine when she's not got them outstretched like that! Was wary of sharing the pics in case everyone told me off for her long nails!! :oops: Its difficult as I live alone and the rabbits don't really like being handled so will have to rope someone in to help! It's my guinea pig iv made bleed a couple off times :cry: Most of his claws r black!

I can safely share my pics now then

Please don't feel initimidated about sharing photos, I know it might seem like we are a critical bunch sometimes but it is only because we care about the welfare of the rabbits. Most of us are just trying to help you and them improve things, not tell you your doing it wrong.

Well drawing blood is not dangerous, even if it looks horrible. My advice is - trim often but a little:)

Please don't feel initimidated about sharing photos, I know it might seem like we are a critical bunch sometimes but it is only because we care about the welfare of the rabbits. Most of us are just trying to help you and them improve things, not tell you your doing it wrong.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Summer & Sky you just gone up massively in my esteem for asking. :)

Back