• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weepy eyes and funny, squishy, big poops

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone

Got a couple of questions - hope someone can advise.

Our male lionhead cross Mogwai - Boris - seems to have weepy eye. There is no gunge in his eye, it seems clear with just a faint redness around it. But he is obviously weeping a bit from it - his fur underneath is a bit matted. We clean it when he lets us with just some warm water. I think his teeth are okay - he eats like a wee pig (and makes the appropriate sounds for a pig) and when he was neutered 2 months ago we had his teeth checked and they were fine. Could this be a blocked tear duct - and if so, what can be done about it? He is very hard to handle - fine with being stroked but won't be picked up or held and goes into complete panic at the vets so would rather not take have to take him if at all possible.

We also have a lionhead doe - 4.5 months old - (Harley) and she does lots of normal poops, but every now and then she does these massive, soft, poops - looks like baby slugs. She is on 25 grams of pellets each day and all the hay she can eat so was just wondering what this could be? She seems to eat her poops (the ones she supposed to) so just wondering what these are? She is absolutly fine in herself - extremly lively and seems very healthy.

Thanks everyone.

as regards the poo, they sound like uneaten ceacatrophs(cant spell lol) they are meant to eat them but if they are leaving them then its likely due to a rich diet. what rabbit food do you give? 25grams is too much really. they only need them as a supplement, so half an eggcup per day would be fine. are you feeding veg?

any chance of a pic of the eye?

as regards the poo, they sound like uneaten ceacatrophs(cant spell lol) they are meant to eat them but if they are leaving them then its likely due to a rich diet. what rabbit food do you give? 25grams is too much really. they only need them as a supplement, so half an eggcup per day would be fine. are you feeding veg?

any chance of a pic of the eye?

We give both rabbits Excel pellets. They don't get veggies - Boris gets a tiny bit of carrot occasionally but Harley won't touch it. Boris cannot handle other veggies - he get GS from them.

Have to admit that I am trying to feed Harley up a bit - she is due to be spayed next week - she will be 20 weeks then. Seems a bit young but lionhead does do mature quicker than other breeds (or so I was informed by the breeder who we got her from) and I want to make sure that she has enough weight to get through the GA safely as she is only little...or am I being completely daft with my logic? So yes - you're probably right and it is her ceacatrophs - but I have seen her eating them as so it's just the odd ones everynow and then.

Will try and get a picture of the eye.

here is a thread all about rabbit 'business' :lol: disgusting but helpful :lol:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?349755-A-bunny-poop-thread.&highlight=cecals

That was so helpful - thank you! Have to admit - Boris got GS a few months ago - and since then my OH and I have this absolute fascination with his poops. We praise him when he's done a good job and left loads for us in his litter tray - and then tell him off if he is being a bit stingy with them.:D

yeah we are all poop mad here LOL :lol::lol:
I hope all goes well with the spay. i know how nerve wrecking it is!! her weight is probably fine. the vet wouldn't operate if it was too low :wave:

Whats they hay consumption like - not enough will affect digestion and if teeth are the problem often they will still eat pellets and veg fine and start to avoid hay.

Whats they hay consumption like - not enough will affect digestion and if teeth are the problem often they will still eat pellets and veg fine and start to avoid hay.

They both eat loads of hay so not too worried on that front :D

OH has just told me that Harley the little doe has just attacked the hoover - she was upstairs in her hutch so he though 'oh good opportunity to hoover out the bottom of it' and she came charging down and went for the nozzle...he had to retreat quickly before he sucked her up ;). It's great she's not afraid of anything - but she is so going to get into trouble one day - going to have to double check our rabbit proofing me thinks.

Back