• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat and Rabbit

Limarie

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Just wanting to call on your expertise again :) Flo (bun) is absolutely not phased by Sherlock (puss) at all, in fact Sherlock seems to be either confused or scared by her! He doesn't really get very close and prefers to keep her in his sight, she went behind him the other day when I was giving him a treat and he ran to the other side of the room! He also runs off whenever she runs to or near him, I'm not overly sure what to do :( He's generally pretty laid back (although he does jump at loud/sudden noises) so I'm a bit concerned really, I want to put him at ease with Flo. Has anyone else had this problem? Does it resolve itself with time as he gets used to her?

Thanks!

Limarie

Hmmm I have a cat and 3 rabbits and neither are phased by each other...although she (cat) was a bit put out when the first rabbit arrived (Alice) as Alice immediately tried to hump the cat (before she was spayed!). Your cat is just being cautious and probably cannot understand what on earth this new housemate is. I expect with time Sherlock will learn that Flo is not a threat and will relax. Can you use cat treats everytime Sherlock goes near Flo so that he associates her with good things?

:wave: Hi

My Cat Angel has always been a nervous little girl and Harry terrifies her(he's a californian rex and 4kg). I tend to stoke them together. Harry having nose rubs and Angel rubbing her face around my hand. I've been gradually reducing the distance between my hands so they get closer together. It works up to a point but Harrys movement freaks her out. Hopping is not a type of movement she is used to, it's sudden and quick!
He'd love to be friends but she hates it if he gets to close without me to protect her:roll:

Back