• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what is your Bunny Routine?

redd1800

Warren Scout
I have two boys, one we have had for 5 years (PAH adoption scheme, age then unknown). I am starting to get worried about them, as they are getting older, and the weather is getting colder. I want to improve their care and routine before the cold weather really sets in.

They live together in a two storey hutch, which is 4ft by 4ft by 2ft, with a 4ft by 8ft run permamently attached. there is a small tarp over the roof of the hutch, but nothing yet over the back and sides. I have a piece of correx over the wire door on the top level, the second top door is solid wood. There are no doors on the bottom level, i took there off to give good access into the run. There is a piece of correx between the rop of the run, and the bottom of the top level, to cover a large gap. The run is wire in a wooden frame. I have sheets of that curvy roof type plastic over the run to keep them dry.

My routine up to now has been to replace the newspaper and hay in the sleeping area and litter trap down below every evening. I feed them a big handful of pellets each, and a handful of veg each, plus grass/herbs/dandilions from the garden.

I want to reduce their pellets - as they are not very good at eating their hay, improve their diet, I also want to insulate their hutch for the winter.

So please, routines and other tips needed please!

My routine in the morning with four rabbits is to feed them their greens change their water make sure they have hay in each hay feeder, make sure litter trays are clean and remove wet bedding open their runs and make sure they have every they need in there toys etc, spend time with them just watching them playing and etc, in the afternoons i check their hay levels and water levels and just make sure they have all been ok. Then of a night time i replace their water and feed them their daily food rations check they have everything they need in their sleeping area litter trays etc, get them back into their main hutch and close the run areas up and cover the hutches if its raining or cold. Dont like to leave them to have entry to their runs at night because of my dogs in and out and incase of any foxes about. each rabbit owner is different and routines vary but you will find a routine that suits you and your rabbit will get to know it aswell :D

On a school weekday, I put my son on the school bus at 8:30 so I try to do the bunnies right after, whilst I am out anyway.

Have one in a set up like your's OP, and two have just moved into a shed and are about to get a Runaround tunnel which will attach to their pen in the garden.

I pass the garden bun first; take out his litter tray and food bowl and take them down to the shed, then do all three together. Down in the shed I have to open the window (it has a mesh window underneath to keep cats out and as I write this, my husband is making an inner door with mesh so we can leave the main door open all day).

Empty the trays almost every day - swap round for clean ones with Megazorb and hay. Then it's meant to be an eggcup full of pellets but more like a handful.;) Talk to them, rub their noses, feed them, do jobs that need doing around the shed, wash out the litter trays (leave propped up outside to dry all day then in the evening give a quick spray with F10 disinfectant so they are dry by next morning). Change water.

At dusk, we go down usually my 10 year old and I, to top up their hay, check their water is OK and lock them away for the night. I will sometimes give them forage in the morning, sometimes at night.

They are angoras so get groomed at least once a week when the coats are shorter but as they get longer, more often. I use hairdressers' scissors to give them a hair-do every 12 weeks. I used to stagger them so I never did more than one full hair cut in a week but now tend to do them all together. I can cut off the wool of an entire bunny in about half an hour, but it takes a lot longer when you first are learning. We bring them in the house to groom, and groom them sitting on our knee. They are very patient and used to it, so will sit still for ages.:p

If it's sunny, they go out in their runs but I tend to wait til the grass is dry - so go out later in the morning to do that. Reason being angoras can get a chill easily if their coats get damp, so try to put them out when it's almost totally dry.

I have a free-range indoor bunny so not sure how helpful our routine will be but:

Morning - Change water, top up hay and 1/2 eggcup of pellets. I'll usually add in some natural forage to his forage box first thing (hawthorn, clover, cow parsley, dandelion) and top up the hay in that too. If I have ran out of fresh forage I'll nip down the road after breakfast to get him some. Then I'll use a 'poop-scoop' to give his cage a quick clean out, and refill his cage with litter. Once a week I completely change all the litter and about once every 10 days/fortnight I give his cage a complete clean out with disinfectant.

Evening - another 1/2 eggcup of pellets, and usually a little extra hay, will check his water and we have health checks in the evening so I check his nails, bottom, bits, eyes, teeth and coat. I like to sit on the floor in the evenings so Stephen climbs all over me, or he has taken to sitting on the arm of the sofa. :love:

Our set-up is a 4x2.5x2ft indoor cage which is never closed, he uses that as his litter tray and then he has an apple box from the supermarket as a forage box and his toys spread about across the living room :)

Back