• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I keep slugs away?!

supersonic

Mama Doe
I HATE slugs and snails with a passion. They always end up in the pets hutches and I really struggle to make myself fish them out :s Other than pellets, how can I stop them from getting into the hutches?

I heard copper wire helps, so I was wondering if looping that around the legs of the hutch would be enough?

Sonic doesn't seem to mind them, but I can't imagine it's nice to share your house with one of those things :(

Any suggestions will be useful!! :wave:

I used to have a lot of slugs in the kitchen of my student house, a few years ago now. After stepping on them far too many times in my bare feet I now have a total phobia of them.

Lots of salt works on them by killing them. Obviously to be used where bunnies cant reach it - under the hutch, around the legs or whatever.

Get some chickens, hey presto, no slugs or snails to be seen!!

I too have stood on slugs this year for the first time ever in my life, gross gross gross, but since having the chickens, haven't seen one!

We had a real problem with slugs, they were everywhere. In the hutch & run, they even came through the cat flap to eat cat biscuits! Luckily we have decking so hubby has dropped a few slug killer pellets down between the planks so the children / pets can't get at them. Seems to have done the trick, but obviously will only work if you have decking :)

Thanks guys! Sonic loves to sit under the hutches, so I think copper wire will be the best bet :) I'm also going to try smearing vasaline on the hutch legs as well, I'll let you know how it goes!

We have had a problem with slugs and when I go out to put the bunnies to bed (about 10pm) I was finding slugs either heading or in their food bowls. I even found slugs on in the food drawer - which is one of those 5 drawer pedestals and the top one is the food drawer (luckily food is in sealed container).

As they are in a shed and no-where to get in, I am at a loss how they are coming in. We now remove any pellets at bedtime if they are uneaten.

We had a real problem with slugs, they were everywhere. In the hutch & run, they even came through the cat flap to eat cat biscuits! Luckily we have decking so hubby has dropped a few slug killer pellets down between the planks so the children / pets can't get at them. Seems to have done the trick, but obviously will only work if you have decking :)

Just be immensely careful the rabbits cant get to them. They WILL and DO kill rabbits, just by eating a single pellet.

Just be immensely careful the rabbits cant get to them. They WILL and DO kill rabbits, just by eating a single pellet.

Thanks, we are. There's about a 1.5 ft drop below the decking and my husband pops them down one at a time, he's knows he's out on his ear if any of my animals are injured in his war against slugs so he's super careful. There's no way they could get to them. :D

Egg shells worked for me when my bunnies were outside.

I used to crunch them up and put them all around the edge of the run. It didn't look good but it kept them away.

I always used to find them going into the food bowl and allsorts :evil:
My 2 were terrified of them :cry:

Haha, yeah we used to do that, but I couldn't stand emptying the container :?

Plus, mum thinks it's a waste of beer! :roll:

When I did it a couple of years ago, I used Tesco's own brand beer. 4 cans for 88 pence. I never tried it. :lol:

You could get someone else to get rid of the container.

We had so many snails and slugs, 100's every where. Only took a week to get rid of them with the beer.

Back