• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny purring?

jazxo

Mama Doe
I've heard lots of times that rabbits do their version of a cat purr by gently grinding their teeth but grinding teeth can also mean pain right?

I'm 99% sure Pippin isn't in pain when she does it because she only does it when I pull her ears back and stroke them or stroke her nose and she closes her eyes and her whiskers go mad and it feels like her whole head is vibrating :lol:

Does anyone else's rabbits do this?

Yes, Thumper did it as soon as I started to stroke him & then went on to chattering his teeth (pleasure)
Benjie does a few grinds & usually starts licking me.
It's all about context & body posture. If they start to grind while being loved it's purring & nice.

Painful grinding is a bit louder, they do it on their own, & they're obviously out of sorts, not wanting to move about.
If it's a tummy problem -stasis- they're usually hunched up, sort of concertined into themselves.

I agree, when they 1st. started doing it, I couldn't actually hear them but felt the vibration on top of their heads.

Bunnies are just lovely. :love::love::love:

Mimzy purrs whether I'm stroking him or not but definitely more when he's having a fuss. :)
Fiver does the chatter. It used to worry me thinking he was having a seizure or something. 0_o
Pip rarely gifts me with a purr...but then she's a diva bunny, so....I'm just gentry. ;)
May I just say...I've never seen such an unusually colored bunny....Pippin is gorgeous! :love:

Our Boris purrs when he's very relaxed and is having his head and ears stroked...greatest feeling in the world, knowing that your bunny is as happy and content as can be :D

Mozart does it all the time! Scientists still don't know if its just a natural reaction when their ears are pulled slightly or if it is because they are so happy and relaxed. I hope its the happy one cuz my bunny literally does it whenever i stroke him!

Back