• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shredding Newspaper

tommo1975

Young Bun
What is it with rabbits and shedding newspaper? I've watched Boris shredding the newspaper lining the bottom of his hutch for the last few hours. He's not eating it, just shredding it. He seems to be enjoying himself doing it, so I've left him to it. He's got countless toys, things to chew and nibble, he's been in his run for hours today and I'm always out there checking up on him/talking to him, so hopefully it isn't a sign of extreme boredom or frustration.....

One of my rabbits likes to shred the newspaper lining in their cage. At first I worried the other bun who lives with him would get upset at all the mess in the cage but it didn't seem to bother her and Charlie (the shredder) seems to enjoy doing it so I don't try to stop him. Like yours, they have plenty of free range time and loads of toys to play with but shredding paper seems to be the number 1 passtime. Maybe shredding paper to rabbits is like popping bubble wrap to humans?! :lol:

Similarly, my 10 yr old daughter has a bedroom full of toys, a laptop, ipod, dolls, games, etc, etc. and she spent all day yesterday playing with a bag of paperclips! :lol:

If they have a companion and plenty of things to keep them occupied and they still shred paper I wouldn't worry about boredom, I just think they enjoy it :)

My charlie does this to what annoys me and alfie is she (charlie) rips and shreds the paper in the bottom of the litter tray now alfie is the cleanest bunny ever and he is not liking charlie messing up his hutch

Back