• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jessica

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
So 2 weekks ago Jessica joined us. She had been a house rabbit with a 4' cage. Unfortunately her owner worked 6 days a week but let her out in the evenings for a run around the flat. She told me that she was very aggressive when you went into her cage. She is actually very viscious! She turns on you in a flash and I would have been bitten badly had I not moved super quick. She is now in a 6' x 3' hutch with a nice big shelf at one side. Would spaying tone her aggressiveness down? Of all the rabbits I have there is not one that would go for me, so what has made Jessica like this. She is 18 months old. If she'd gone to live where there were children I hate to think what would have happened.

Awww bless her, bet she's loving being in a 6x3 hutch :D yes, spaying is very likely to help, although it might not cure it completely as there is perhaps a likelihood of some learnt behaviour there too,which may take longer to work through. But spaying is a sensible thing to do on a bun of that age anyway so I would do that as the first port of call then see what if any aggression remains once she's calmed down. She might benefit from pairing with a calm, friendly buck who could teach her that people are nice and there's no need to lash out at them. I the meantime, I would wear thick gardening glove/wellies or wherever it needs on the areas she bites, so that she learns that biting doesn't make you go away. I tend to just sit at the edge of a hutch with an aggressive bun, holding food in my hand and just not moving at all. Eventually they start to come round and come for a look, and it doesn't take long for them to start to associate your presence with nice grub :lol:

Good luck with her - any pics??

Wish I could do photos. I was shown once but once was apparently not enough. I agree with what you say, she's learned this for some reason in her past. Hope she becomes friendlier!

Poor bun, well done for taking her. Hope spaying is a help, and you have some good avice there from Santa. :thumb:

Back